My Goodreads Quotes

Allison’s quotes


"Don't you think it's rather nice to think that we're in a book that God's writing? If I were writing a book, I might make mistakes. But God knows how to make the story end just right--in the way that's best for us."
Do you really believe that, Mother?" Peter asked quietly.
Yes," she said, "I do believe it--almost always--except when I'm so sad that I can't believe anything. But even when I don't believe it, I know it's true--and I try to believe it."— E. Nesbit

Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Fun May Updates

Hello, readers!  Today I plan on interrupting the YA Tropes I Hate series (haven't read it?  Start here!) with some fun life updates.

I had a lot of time this month to stew on the nature of endings.  A lot is ending for me right now-- my classes, high school, my time living in my parents' house.  It is hard and frightening to let go sometimes.  I can taste college and adulthood right around the corner, and I am ridiculously excited at what this means: being treated like an adult, working hard, and setting off into the world.  But that's still four months away.  A chapter of my life is ending, and the next has yet to begin.  I have four months of awkward in-between, and I'm not sure how I'll spend them.

Most excitingly, I have graduated from high school and confirmed that I will attend UNC Chapel Hill in the fall.  My official cap-and-gown graduation ceremony, as well as college orientation, isn't until June, but classes are over, I have my final grades, and I am sooo ready to enjoy summer.

I also finished my training program with the Catholic Church and was confirmed as a full member of the church.

Me and my lovely sponsor!
For those of you unfamiliar with the Rite of Confirmation, it symbolizes your adulthood in the church.  You pick a patron saint, and their name becomes your saint-name.  It's like an additional middle name, which hardly anyone uses day-to-day.


I chose the name Miriam of Nazareth, the Jewish name of the Virgin Mary.  I chose it because A.) she's the coolest, and B.) I really like Jewish culture and history and wanted to honor that.


In other exciting news, I have my first real job (aside from a brief stint teaching violin).  I work as a crew member for the local Cold Stone Creamery.  It is the most fast-paced, intense, energetic work I have ever done, although that may be because I had my first shift on a Saturday night.  By the end of this summer, I am going to have crazy arm muscles from pulling ice cream.



In slightly less life-changing but equally exciting news, remember how I got to meet Maggie Stiefvater?  She gave a lovely talk, signed my book, and took a hilarious No-Smile Selfie with me, which absolutely made my day.  If you haven't read her book The Raven Boys, I highly recommend it.

After an action-packed month like that, I'm more than ready to have some time off.  But they say the wicked never rest, and I suppose that's true, because in a little over two weeks, I'm jetting off to Ireland, where I will fail to post anything but take lots of pictures for when I get back.

But I'll save that for next month's updates.

How about you, readers?  How's your month so far?

3 comments:

Jemma Tainsh said...

Sounds like you had a busy month! I shall have to look of for the Raven boys. I hope you have an awesome time at collage! What will you study?
The past few days for me have been mainly watching Jane Austen and civil war. However, I got a stack of books from the library recently and it should last a while.

Jemma Tainsh said...

Are you enjoying your job? Ice cream sounds fun

Sarah said...

Is it weird that college doesn't quite equal adulthood in my view? You're still at school, you don't have to directly pay for room/food/etc., and so it doesn't quite seem adult. If that makes sense.
Congratulations on your confirmation!
Also . . . Cold Stone! Awesome! Do you get free ice cream or something as a bonus for working there?