My Goodreads Quotes

Allison’s quotes


"Don't you think it's rather nice to think that we're in a book that God's writing? If I were writing a book, I might make mistakes. But God knows how to make the story end just right--in the way that's best for us."
Do you really believe that, Mother?" Peter asked quietly.
Yes," she said, "I do believe it--almost always--except when I'm so sad that I can't believe anything. But even when I don't believe it, I know it's true--and I try to believe it."— E. Nesbit

Sunday, January 31, 2016

Nightstand Books: January + Exciting News!

In which I share a picture of my nightstand.

Unfortunately, due to the aforementioned Great Possession Purge of 2016, I no longer own a nightstand.

Inspired by Jenelle Schmidt and D J Edwardson.

A nightstand.  Not MY nightstand.  But a nightstand.
Welcome back to the blog, readers!  I finally snatched some writing time while on vacation in California.  Vacation also means lots and lots of delicious reading time, so I have some real treats to share with you.

I read Keeper of the Lost Cities, by Shannon Messenger, on the plane, at the recommendation of Emma Clifton.  These books are perfect for vacation, or anytime: lighthearted, easy-to-read, and ridiculously entertaining.  They're not high literature for you literary types, but they bring joy in my life, and that's what matters in a book.  Also, I can get them in ebook form from my library, so I'm dashing my way through the series.  My progress has stalled at book three, because someone had the sheer cheek to check out the library ebook.  So now I have to wait.



Dear mysterious stranger,

Give it back.  Now.

Sincerely,

Me.

While waiting for the third book, I've started The Screaming Staircase, by Jonathon Stroud.  I'm only a few chapters in, but so far, it's utterly delicious, beautifully crafted, and witty.  It's about ghosts, for those who may be uncomfortable with this, but it portrays them in a strictly secular light (so far, at least).  The first line:

Of the first few hauntings I investigated with Lockwood and Co. I intend to say little, in part to protect the identity of the victims, in part because of the gruesome nature of the incidents, but mainly because, in a variety of ingenious ways, we succeeded in messing them all up.

It reminds me strongly of Jackaby, by William Ritter (only, dare I say, a little more polished?), and I love it so far.



As for the exciting news, I am pleased to say that I have been accepted to UNC Chapel Hill, to study English/journalism!  I can't tell you what a relief this is to me, and I'm so glad to share it with you.

How's your month so far?  Have any other seniors heard from colleges?  What are you reading?

6 comments:

Sarah said...

I just now realized where I've seen Keeper of the Lost Cities . . . a friend of mine from the UG recommended it, I said I'd read it, and then never did. *adds to TBR list*

As for The Screaming Staircase . . . it's like Jackaby? I MUST HAVE IT!

Congratulations on being accepted to UNC! That's awesome! I managed to get in for early application at Cedarville (my college of choice), so I've known I was accepted there for a while now.

Jenelle Schmidt said...

Hey hey! Congrats on getting accepted into UNC! I have lots of friends who went there. The campus is quite beautiful.

Everything on your nightstand sounds quite fun. I will have to look up some of those titles!

Jemma Tainsh said...

What does your new nightstand look like?
(I've heard of Jackaby, what's it like?)

Allison Ruvidich said...

@Sarah- You would loooove the Screaming Staircase, and Keeper of the Lost Cities, too. I discreetly stalked Cedarville's website, and it looks like a great school! : D You're going to be soo happy there.

@Jenelle- THANK YOU! : D I'm incredibly excited to go. I hope you enjoy them!

@Jemma- I actually don't have a new nightstand. *covers face* I only used it to stack books, and one day I thought, "What if I just use my... my bookshelf!"

"Jackaby" is like a cross between Sherlock and Doctor Who. It's about detectives who solve fantastical mysteries. I haven't read it in a while, and you should double-check with your mom, but I believe it is age-appropriate. : )

Jemma Tainsh said...

Oops, I just re-read your post and realized that. My bookshelf has many stacks, going in front of the books, on top of the books...
Jackaby sounds interesting! I shall investigate

Amber Stokes said...

Congratulations on your college acceptance! That's wonderful news!! :) #EnglishMajorsUnite (I was an English major in college, as well - but more of a general/literature emphasis. I believe having a strong writing background gives you plenty of possibilities and opens lots of doors!)

~Amber