My Goodreads Quotes

Allison’s quotes


"Don't you think it's rather nice to think that we're in a book that God's writing? If I were writing a book, I might make mistakes. But God knows how to make the story end just right--in the way that's best for us."
Do you really believe that, Mother?" Peter asked quietly.
Yes," she said, "I do believe it--almost always--except when I'm so sad that I can't believe anything. But even when I don't believe it, I know it's true--and I try to believe it."— E. Nesbit

Monday, January 11, 2016

My Top Ten

My favorite college application had a section for my Top Ten.  It didn't specify Top Ten books, or Top Ten movies-- just my Top Ten.  I loved this idea so much that I dug through my archives and found my Top Ten for 2015.

In no particular order:

Dorothy L. Sayers



Dorothy L. Sayers launched my love for the mystery genre.  I adore her Lord Peter books, which are the perfect blend of technical mystery, genuine emotion, and great characters.  If you haven't read her books yet, you should absolutely try them for 2016.  The series begins with Whose Body?, but you can start with Strong Poison as well.




I've always loved having a clean, organized room, but I had to spend hours each week keeping it that way!  This book on de-cluttering changed the way I live.  I have so much space, and cleaning is easy now.  Love, love, love this book.

Home and Garden TV



My dad and I discovered Home and Garden TV and cultivated an obsession with it.  Our favorite shows are Love It or List It, Property Brothers, and Fixer Upper.  Using the knowledge I've obtained from these shows, I've been redecorating my newly-decluttered bedroom.

Shopping


Because of my decluttering, however, I was down to two pairs of pants (eek!).  I had to shop for more clothes, and I loved doing so.  2015 sparked an aesthetic taste in me, which led to all my redecorating and shopping.

Frasier



My mom and I both love this show, and we've taken to watching it in the evenings.  It follows a snooty but lovable psychiatrist and his family.  It's probably PG 13.

Till We Have Faces, by C. S. Lewis



A stunning look at the nature of humanity, truth, and love.  It is not the easiest book to read, but the ending is perfect.

My Tea Kettle


I love loose-leaf teas, but they take so long to make.  For Christmas this year, my grandmother got me a tea kettle, so I can brew loose-leaf tea in minutes.  I've had tea every day since Christmas!

Yoga


I've always enjoyed yoga, but I never relied on it until 2015.  It's the perfect way to exercise and unwind at the same time, and I can't get enough of it.  And, um, I'm totally as flexible as the model in the picture.  Yeah.  Absolutely.

Jane Austen



I finished the novels of Jane Austen this year, which was bittersweet.  Few authors observe life as keenly as she did or replicate it as sharply.  I anticipate many happy rereads.

Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries


My most recent addition to the list-- so recent, in fact, that I started watching it on New Year's Day, which technically disqualifies it for this list.  But I love it so much that I thought I would share it anyway.  It covers alternately hilarious and chilling Australian crime.  Consider this one PG 13 or R.

Here's to 2016!

9 comments:

Sarah said...

I have Whose Body on request from the library, finally!
Your list is pretty awesome. (BTW, pics of your newly redecorated room, maybe?)

Allison Ruvidich said...

Yay! You'll love it!

Ooh, that would be fun, wouldn't it? I think I'll paint it first, then show it off... Thank you for asking. : D

Suzannah said...

Miss Fisher makes me sad. Every time it floats across my ken, I think, "Ooh, yay, critically-acclaimed, classy and gorgeously-costumed murder mysteries set in my own country!"

And then I read up on it a bit...and I make a face and oil quietly off to spent my time on something a bit less feminist.

Allison Ruvidich said...

@Suzannah- To each her own! I am still ironing out my beliefs and the way I think of the world...

Suzannah said...

:) I'm sorry; that sounded a little more judgemental than intended! Having not seen the series, I obviously don't know enough to tell people they shouldn't. I'm just sad I have to pass this up, because it does sound so good in some ways. Still, aggressively feminist media (AGENT CARTER, for example) makes me flail wrathfully to no productive ends :). Perhaps more to the point, I'm not prepared to expose myself to the sexual content involved. Again, I haven't seen it, so there's the chance I'm making a misjudgement (and I don't mean to say that my standards should be your standards!!!). But there is a knowledge that defiles; and I do think it's important to shield myself from awakening emotions and desires that I a) can't satisfy at the moment or b) will never be able to satisfy lawfully at all.

When I was younger, I thought I was strong. But Life is a long affair, and temptation isn't always easy to escape, and I discovered that I was weaker than I thought. :)

Jemma Tainsh said...

Nice list! Will you do one to ten things you want to do this year?

Suzannah, You live in Australia to! That's so cool! I got your book recently!

Allison Ruvidich said...

@Suzannah- I hope I didn't sound harsher than intended, either. I love how much thought you put into your opinions. : ) It's what keeps me coming back to your blog and books over and over.

@Jemma- Ooh, good idea! I should definitely try that... Oh, and Jemma, you will LOVE Suzannah's books! : D

Jemma Tainsh said...

Thank you, I can't wait to see what you do!
I hope I do! It looks really interesting!

Suzannah said...

@Allison - :)))

@Jemma - YES! I'm Australian! You got one of my books? That's amazing! I hope you love it!