My Goodreads Quotes

Allison’s quotes


"Don't you think it's rather nice to think that we're in a book that God's writing? If I were writing a book, I might make mistakes. But God knows how to make the story end just right--in the way that's best for us."
Do you really believe that, Mother?" Peter asked quietly.
Yes," she said, "I do believe it--almost always--except when I'm so sad that I can't believe anything. But even when I don't believe it, I know it's true--and I try to believe it."— E. Nesbit

Sunday, December 13, 2015

Desert Island Book Tag, subtitled How to Build an Inexpensive Hut

I stole this unabashedly from My Lady Bibliophile.  Thanks, Schuyler!  Here are the eight books I would bring with me on a desert island.

The desert island
1. The Bible

I've got to finish it sometime, y'all.  As it is, I'm still stuck in Maccabees 1.  Don't even get me started on the Wisdom of Solomon!  I figure I would have plenty of spare time to finish it while stranded.

2. The Complete Plays of William Shakespeare

Yes, this is one book.  Rereading all thirty-eight would keep me plenty occupied, and I could use it to kill small mammals for food.  You really can't go wrong with Shakespeare.

3. Fire and Hemlock, by Diana Wynne Jones

Every time I read this book, I catch a new theme, a new reference, or a new take on a familiar character.  Some of my other reading is pretty dense, so this would be the perfect book for relaxing and unwinding on a tropical, albeit desert, beach.

4. Chime, by Franny Billingsley

I would bring this for the same reasons as Fire and Hemlock.  It is deceptively light and masks a great deal of subtle artistry, whose surface I have only begin to scratch.

5. Gaudy Night, by Dorothy L. Sayers

Because it is perfect.  There need be no other reason.

6. The Complete Novels of Jane Austen

Yes, I know I'm grievously cheating and lumping multiple volumes into one.  But I have seen it done before!  I would bring Jane Austen for her civility and sharp wit.  Besides, if you set it next to the Shakespeare and lay the Bible on top, it would make a decent hut.

7. The Iliad and the Odyssey, by Homer

Now my hut has a wall, and I can enjoy the adventure, warfare, and romance of the ancient Greeks.

And finally, 8. Words of Radiance, by Brandon Sanderson

I could spend happy hours reading about Kaladin, nobility, courage, Kaladin, honor, war, Kaladin, extraordinary worlds, and Kaladin.  What's not to love?  And besides, now my hut has a door.

I challenge you, readers!  Which volumes would you bring with you on a desert island, and how would you assemble them into a storm-proof shelter?



8 comments:

Sarah said...

Question: Is the Wisdom of Solomon just the Catholic name for Proverbs? Or are they two different books? Or is the Wisdom of Solomon the extended edition of Proverbs, so to speak? (Just asking, since they sound like they could be the same, but Proverbs is, for most people, the easiest book in the Bible to read.)
Also. Your last choice. :D
I approve.
I will probably do this sometime in the near future- hopefully. It sounds like fun.

Blue said...

This is brilliant!
Yes, you would certainly want your bible and a heavy book to kill time and small mammals.
But...don't you also want a survival book?

Jemma Tainsh said...

I like your choices! :)

Allison Ruvidich said...

@Sarah- Actually, I'm confusing myself. Wisdom of Solomon is a Catholic book in the Bible and apocryphal for Protestants. However, I already finished Wisdom of Solomon, and I'm in Proverbs, which we both have. It's not hard to read, but there's so much wisdom I can only bear to read a few lines before stopping and thinking on it. It's wonderfully frustrating. : D

@Blue- Well-- um-- yeah, I guess that would be helpful. ; D

@Jemma- Thank you! I would love to see what you would bring. : )

Anonymous said...

I would bring my Bible and missionary books. :) And my journals. :)
Love,
Ashley
creatingpreciousmoments.blogspot.com
ashleysyarnworks.blogspot.com

Allison Ruvidich said...

Those sound great, Ashley! Thank you for commenting. : )

Candice Williams said...

I'm glad to see that Fire and Hemlock is on your list! I just got it at the library and can't wait to read it. :)

Allison Ruvidich said...

@Candice- IT IS SO GOOD! I think you're going to love it. : ) It's great to see you back in the Blogosphere, by the way!