My Goodreads Quotes

Allison’s quotes


"Don't you think it's rather nice to think that we're in a book that God's writing? If I were writing a book, I might make mistakes. But God knows how to make the story end just right--in the way that's best for us."
Do you really believe that, Mother?" Peter asked quietly.
Yes," she said, "I do believe it--almost always--except when I'm so sad that I can't believe anything. But even when I don't believe it, I know it's true--and I try to believe it."— E. Nesbit

Thursday, December 24, 2015

Concluding the 2015 Blogger Awards: Best Author!

In October, 2014, I wanted some way to draw our blogging community together for the holiday season.  With the help of Hannah Williams, Ghost Ryter, and Clara Diane Thompson, the original judges, my dream became a reality: the 2014 Blogger Awards.

The Awards have come a long way in a year.  We said goodbye to some judges and hello to others.  I am so proud of the amazing judges this year.  Thank you so much, Hannah, Ghosty, Sarah, Annie, and Schuyler.  We couldn't have the Awards without you.

Thank you, also, to the authors and artists who created these amazing books: Kristy Cambron, Suzannah Rowntree, Nicole Sager, Julia Popova, Michael O, Rachel Rossano, Ashlee Willis, Shannon Messenger, Rae Carson, Hayden Wand, Jaye L. Knight, and Brandon Sanderson.  Again, the Awards would not exist without you.



Without further ado, I am pleased to present the nominees for Best Author!

Suzannah Rowntree

I read The Prince of Fishes, and I.  Was.  Floored.  The history was gorgeous.  The detail was beautiful.  The theology was through-provoking.  But what made this novella for me was the relationship of and power-struggle between Michael and his wife, Eudokia.  Each was a great character in their own right, but I came to love their feuding, their debates, their dreams, and their romance.

Kristy Cambron

I read A Sparrow in Terezin and sobbed.  I enjoyed Sera's modern-day storyline.  But easily my favorite part was Kaja's storyline in World War II.  It was breathtaking.  It was tragic.  And it was so romantic.  I had no idea if there would be a happy ending, and it kept me on my seat the entire novel.  I did not want it to end.

Nicole Sager

I read Burdney by Nicole Sager and loved it.  Most fantasy novels these day involve a quest, and I think people tend to underestimate the power of a story set at home.  Not Nicole Sager.  She did a terrific job drawing the action around a central location, pulling characters from all locales into one setting.  It was lovely.

All three are great authors.  But only one can win.  And she is:


Suzannah Rowntree!

I loved all three authors.  But while reading Suzannah Rowntree's book, I laughed.  I sobbed.  I fell in love a little.

Ultimately, what impressed me the most was the ever-shifting struggle for power between Michael and Eudokia.  Neither dominated the relationship; each had different strengths and, most noticeably, different weakness that Ms. Rowntree drew to the audience's attention.  They are not perfect.  They are not always likable.  But they are, throughout the novella, lovable.  And that is why Suzannah Rowntree is the 2015 Blogger Award's Best Author.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, concludes the 2015 Blogger Awards.  We hope you thoroughly enjoyed them!  If you are interested in judging the awards next year, please e-mail me at aruvidich@gmail.com.  On behalf of myself and the judges, have a merry Christmas and a happy new year!

No comments: