My Goodreads Quotes

Allison’s quotes


"Don't you think it's rather nice to think that we're in a book that God's writing? If I were writing a book, I might make mistakes. But God knows how to make the story end just right--in the way that's best for us."
Do you really believe that, Mother?" Peter asked quietly.
Yes," she said, "I do believe it--almost always--except when I'm so sad that I can't believe anything. But even when I don't believe it, I know it's true--and I try to believe it."— E. Nesbit

Monday, November 23, 2015

NaNoWriMo- Victory!

I did it, readers!!


















And now I have the number of functioning brain cells once associates with, I don't know, a brownie or something.

I wrote a grand total of 50,039 words in one month for my latest project, The Winter Court.  In late October, I wasn't completely sure this was going to happen.  I cannot tell you how relieved I am to have done it!

I discovered three key things while on the voyage known as novel-writing.

1. I can consistently write 2,000 words in a little less than an hour.  If I really buckle down, that means I can finish projects much more quickly than I have in the past.

1A (because I have to have three points in true literary fashion, which means I have to get creative). I cannot write 3,000 words every day.  It takes exponentially longer, and by the time I finish, I can't do anything but watch TV all day.  HOWEVER, writing 3,000 words a day for the first week made writing 2,000 words more efficient than it has ever been.

1B. I need weekends.  Weekends are perfect.  Weekends are lovely.

And 2. I did not finish my novel.  With my roughest estimation, it will be around 90,000 words long.  Could I write that in a month?  Probably.  Would it hurt?  Yeah.  You bet.

And finally, 3. I need some time away from my novel.  I love the characters, I love the story so far, but I've reached the point where I realize I have absolutely no idea where I'm going with this.  I don't know how the novel ends.  I mean, I know how it sort of ends-- the hero wins, gets the girl, and lives happily ever after-- but I don't know the particulars.  Any of them.  And I would like to have these firmly in hand before I return to the manuscript.

And return I shall!  This is only a passing break, albeit much-needed.  I can figure out where my novel is going.  And in the meantime, I can work on my other, poor-little-abandoned-projects that, you know, have due dates that are sort of creeping up on me.

But as for today, I'm taking time off.  I think I've earned it.  : )

Writers, keep writing!

5 comments:

Hannah said...

EEEP!!!!!!!!!!

Allison, I am so proud of you!!!

*sighs* Now I just have to buckle down and get this Sleeping Beauty story finished...

Jenelle Leanne said...

Congrats on winning Nano! And several days early, even! That's awesome!

Sarah said...

CONGRATULATIONS! *confetti and cake*

Jemma Tainsh said...

Great job!!!!! You're amazing!
I hope you have just as much success with finishing the rest of your novel!

Psalms w guitar said...

All the best, Allison! I have definitely discovered that creativity comes and goes. Some days, it's just not the time for writing. But one definite thought is to go for walks and just think with paper and pencil. Just just John a few keywords of outline when they come to you. When you got a bunch of outline thoughts jotted down, then try sitting down to write.