My Goodreads Quotes

Allison’s quotes


"Don't you think it's rather nice to think that we're in a book that God's writing? If I were writing a book, I might make mistakes. But God knows how to make the story end just right--in the way that's best for us."
Do you really believe that, Mother?" Peter asked quietly.
Yes," she said, "I do believe it--almost always--except when I'm so sad that I can't believe anything. But even when I don't believe it, I know it's true--and I try to believe it."— E. Nesbit

Friday, October 2, 2015

Nightstand Book: October

Your monthly fuzzy picture of my nightstand, inspired by Jenelle Schmidt and D J Edwardson!


I had planned on doing stuff with my life today.  Useful stuff.  I had to write an e-mail.  I wanted to go jogging.  And there's this new thing called, you know.  School.

But I had books on hold at the library, so I got them first, naturally, because I'm not crazy.  And one of them was Dear Mr. Knightley, by Katherine Reay.

At two o'clock this afternoon, I thought I would read the first few pages to see if I liked it.  At four o'clock this afternoon, I admitted to myself that I was still reading and put on my jogging clothes as motivation to wrap it up.

It's six o'clock in the evening.  I did not write that e-mail.  I did not go jogging, nor did I change out of my jogging clothes.  I did finish the book, though.  It was just that good.

Curse you, Mrs. Reay!

Ahem.  Sorry.

I'm also reading Le Morte d'Arthur, by Sir Thomas Malory, and rereading The Fellowship of the Ring, by J. R. R. Tolkien, and The Sorcerer's Stone, by J. K. Rowling.  And there's a book for my super-secret plans for next spring.  It's titled Ireland for Dummies.  You can probably guess what my super-secret plans are...  Oh, and I have The Oxford Book of Ballads for a project I'm working on, and a new Bible for a pre-confirmation course I'm taking this year.  Yeah...

I realize I sound totally apathetic.  I'm sort of brain-dead right now.  Blame it on Dear Mr. Knightley.  It was just that good.

I guess I'll write that e-mail now....

7 comments:

Psalms w guitar said...

I'm ordering it for my 15-year-old, Mercy. Thanks for making me aware of it

She definitely loves all things Austen

Sarah said...

I'm reading Dear Mr. Knightly sometime this month, since it's the Fellowship of the Cross BOTM. I'm not entirely sure what to expect; you and another friend of mine both apparently love it, but another friend apparently dnf-ed it.

Also: I just had to read an excerpt from Le Morte d'Arthur in Literature. And I'm rereading FotR now as well! (Though you possibly knew the latter.) Where are you in FotR?

Blue said...

I'd like to read Le Morte d'Arthur someday. Old legends and histories, just my thing!

.....what a minute...Ireland?! Really and truly?!

Savannah Perran said...

Ooo, you're re-reading FotR? I really need to do that at some point ... maybe this month :D!

Allison Ruvidich said...

@Psalms with Guitars-- I should warn you that the main character suffers from fairly graphic abuse, so you may want to read it first!

Jemma Tainsh said...

I really like your bookshelf posts. Good job re-reading the lord of the rings! I keep trying to but I always get lost in the last book.
Have fun reading!

Allison Ruvidich said...

@Sarah- They're still making their way to Rivendell... it's a slow reread, I'm afraid! : )

@Blue- You guessed my cunningly disguised secret! ; D I'm cementing plans later this month, so I'll talk about them then.

@Savannah- Yes! It's actually fairly challenging to reread... My brain keeps treacherously telling me the movie would be faster, even as my heart keeps cheering on Tolkien.

@Jemma- I'm glad you like them! I like writing them. : ) The last book was actually the easiest for me to read... I think that was because I better appreciated the series by then, though, not necessarily that it was better.