My Goodreads Quotes

Allison’s quotes


"Don't you think it's rather nice to think that we're in a book that God's writing? If I were writing a book, I might make mistakes. But God knows how to make the story end just right--in the way that's best for us."
Do you really believe that, Mother?" Peter asked quietly.
Yes," she said, "I do believe it--almost always--except when I'm so sad that I can't believe anything. But even when I don't believe it, I know it's true--and I try to believe it."— E. Nesbit

Monday, September 28, 2015

Review: I Will Praise You in the Storm, by Danny L Deaubé

"I Will Praise You in the Storm," by Danny L Deaubé

This book covers a period from 1966 to 2008. It is an account of the lives of Stephen and Holly Deaubé and their family, beginning at birth and ending in glory. Each was born with the same rare but fatal liver disease. Honest and sometimes graphic, it deals with the everyday joys, heartaches, and struggles that accompany children with liver disease. The landscape is constantly changing, covering a large spectrum of emotions. This story describes in detail the trials and struggles as they occurred, with an honest assessment of their thoughts as they responded to pain, suffering, and death. The book chronicles a journey of faith, beginning from infancy to its final conclusion in God's sovereign will.
 Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This is a sad story.

I know that sounds trite and obvious.  If you’ve read the synopsis, you can see it coming.  But I’ll warn you anyway: this is a sad, sad story.

It is the story of Holly and Stephen Deaubé, who, while very young, were diagnosed with the same fatal liver disease.  I Will Praise You in the Storm follows their lives through diagnosis to their eventual death.

I find that I’m really struggling to review this one.  If I measure its value by the number of tissues I used during it, this one would merit a full five stars.  I would say something to the effect of the quality of the writing, but I actually didn’t notice the writing at all in the course of reading it.

Suffice it to say that this is a book about loss.  And it is, throughout, a book about how we can praise God in the worst times of our lives.

Before I read this, I was fairly certain that I liked sad stories.  After all, I counted Les Miserables and Hamlet among my favorites, and those hardly end well, do they?  These stories all have something in common, though.  They’re fictional.  They’re not, in the traditional sense, real.

Real sad stories are harder.  I’m not sure I like them as much.  But stories about someone who goes through a sad, heart-wrenching time, and comes through, and finds a meaning for that sadness?  Yes.  I like those, too.

2 comments:

Danny Deaube said...

A wonderful review Allison, I am honored...I love your web page, you are very talented young lady. God has a great future in store for you :) Looking forward to reading your first book as an author ;)

Allison Ruvidich said...

Aww, thank you so much! : ) That means a great deal to me.