My Goodreads Quotes

Allison’s quotes


"Don't you think it's rather nice to think that we're in a book that God's writing? If I were writing a book, I might make mistakes. But God knows how to make the story end just right--in the way that's best for us."
Do you really believe that, Mother?" Peter asked quietly.
Yes," she said, "I do believe it--almost always--except when I'm so sad that I can't believe anything. But even when I don't believe it, I know it's true--and I try to believe it."— E. Nesbit

Saturday, August 22, 2015

My Writing Routine

Hello, dear readers!  I don't know about you, but I never had a writing routine.  I just wrote whenever the mood took me.  And when it did, I wrote in globs and clumps, pouring out words for as long as I could force myself to write.

I got writer's block a lot.  I got worse-than-writer's-block: I tried to force my stories along a track they frankly did not want to follow.  I spent miserable months pounding out a story, telling my friends, "Yeah, it's going great.  A few-- um-- minor bumps.  But yeah.  It's great."

It was not great.  I honestly can't believe I kept writing through those years.

But I did, and things are much better.  I still struggle frequently with writer's block, though, and I'm always on the lookout for new ways to trick myself through it.  Recently, via David Farland's Writing Tips (which I recommend), I came across this quote by Ernest Hemingway:

“The best way [to avoid writer’s block] is always to stop when you are going good and when you know what will happen next. If you do that every day when you are writing a novel you will never be stuck.”
This quote changed my entire writing routine.

I now sit in my room with the door closed and the lights off.  I have a glass of water on my desk by my computer.  I tie my hair back with a ribbon, in the style of Violet Baudelaire, and I wear earplugs because my sister is a rock musician and practices loudly all the time.

I write 2,000 words.  It usually takes me forty-five minutes.  This is less than I did with my awkward, unscheduled routine.  Even when I know exactly where the story is going, and I'm on a role, and I am dying to get on with it, I stop.  Because that means I'm antsy and excited to keep writing tomorrow-- which means I'll sit down again at the same hour and write another 2,000 words.

I also have made another change in my schedule: I don't write on weekends anymore.  I think this is the part I'm finding the hardest.  Weekends used to be my main writing time.  But this year, I've allotted time in my school day for writing, so I force myself to take weekends to give my creative muscles a rest.

With this new routine, I'm writing 10,000 words a week-- much more than I ever wrote before, and I'm loving it.  What about you, reader?  Do you have a writing routine to share?

4 comments:

Jemma Tainsh said...

Go Alison! :D Do you have a goal?
I write about 200 words a day, sometimes.

Jenelle Leanne said...

I think I need a better writing routine... sigh.

Allison Ruvidich said...

@Jemma- I'd certainly like to finish my work-in-progress soon! Maybe in two weeks? That would be lovely. Go you! : )

@Jenelle- You're clearly doing SOMETHING right! : D

Allison Ruvidich said...

@Jemma- I'd certainly like to finish my work-in-progress soon! Maybe in two weeks? That would be lovely. Go you! : )

@Jenelle- You're clearly doing SOMETHING right! : D