My Goodreads Quotes

Allison’s quotes


"Don't you think it's rather nice to think that we're in a book that God's writing? If I were writing a book, I might make mistakes. But God knows how to make the story end just right--in the way that's best for us."
Do you really believe that, Mother?" Peter asked quietly.
Yes," she said, "I do believe it--almost always--except when I'm so sad that I can't believe anything. But even when I don't believe it, I know it's true--and I try to believe it."— E. Nesbit

Sunday, August 30, 2015

9 Facts About Me

I've been thinking lately on the difference between knowing someone online and knowing someone in person.  I am a firm believer in online relationships being as worthy and meaningful as face-to-face ones.  But I still wonder if something is lost in translation.

So here, reader, are nine things about me that you might not know.

1. I'm not really a koala like my profile picture...

2. For the majority of my life, I thought I would be a professional musician like my sister.  I've played violin and piano and sung since I was little.  I adore opera and have performed in a lot of light operas, and I always assumed that I would be an opera singer.  As I got older, though, I really struggled with performance anxiety and self-doubt, and I think now that this may not be my path.  I also write music for Youtube.

3. I'm a senior in high school!  I've been home-schooled since third grade, so this will be my tenth and final year.  I'm taking a lighter course-load this year because college application takes up so much time.

4. I might have an addiction to Pinterest.  Just a little.  When I went to find the link to my page for you, I accidentally spent five minutes browsing my news-feed.

5. I have a precious kitty named Peaches, whom I adore.

6. I am a massive book-buyer but also an avowed minimalist, so my house tends to be a sort of traveling stop for used books.

7. I am a very critical reader... and above all, I am critical of cover art!  I dislike most cover art on the market these days.  For me, bad cover art can (almost) ruin a book.

8. I am one of the least capable ballerinas you will ever see.  My dancing is a capital-E Experience.

9. And finally, a confession: I am very uncomfortable talking about my writing.  Most people who know me in person don't know that I aspire to be an author (although my reason publication has sort of blown my cover, pen name aside).  I am even less comfortable talking about the fantasy genre.  When people ask me what sort of books I want to write, I simply respond, "Very good ones!"

Really, though, I'm awful about sharing my writing in person.  My Awesome Dad, who proofreads my academic essays, reads them aloud to get the full effect.  I cannot be anywhere near his office when he does this.  Sometimes I leave the house to not hear my own words.

That's probably what I've found most valuable about blogging.  If I'm trying to share something as private and personal to me as my writing, I can pretend I'm just talking to my computer screen.

And there are nine facts about me!

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Whaaaat. You mean all these years I've been picturing you as a eucalyptus-loving marsupial from Australia who, having been tested on by thoroughly unethical scientists, learned to type, then escaped and covers her tracks by creating a fictional online identity, but you're really not? Awwwww . . . (JK.)

On #9- I don't have any problem talking about my writing. Asking me about my writing, offline, is one of the best ways to get me out of my shell. However, I totally relate to what you said in the second paragraph. My mom, when she was looking at the stuff I wrote for English to proofread/grade it (well, there wasn't really any grading involved . . . just her saying "this is good" and "this is bad" and "this should be changed like this"), would often read it out loud and I hated it . . . though I did usually stay in the same room. I had to, since she made comments while reading it.

Jemma Tainsh said...

Thank you for sharing about yourself :)
I love your stories that I've read :D

Hannah said...

Love it, Allison!!!!

Ana @ Butterflies of the Imagination said...

I connect with #9 so much, Allison. I barely talk about my fiction writing at all except on my blog. My parents know I write, but I just don't talk about it much because...I don't know...I'm guess I'm just shy about it. I do enjoy getting critiqued because I know it makes my writing better, but whenever someone is reading my writing like my parents or a teacher or even one of my peers I have to look away or just physically go out of the room. I can't watch people read my writing. And yet, I still really want to get published and have my work out there for everyone to see. It doesn't make sense.

Allison Ruvidich said...

@Sarah- I KNOW. I've been so afraid to admit that I'm not a koala... I mean, what if I accidentally became a role model to koalas? Won't I be betraying them by admitting the truth? But finally I realized I can't hide behind this lie anymore. I'm not a koala. ; D

@Jemma and Hannah- Why, thank you! : )

@Ana- It is such a real struggle! I love critique, usually. There's something so fun about someone thinking about my writing, provided we're not face to face. You know who else shared the shy writer struggle? Jane Austen. ; D We're clearly the next Jane Austens.

Danny Deaube said...

I perceive you will be a great author,or anything else you pursue. You have a very good head start...

Allison Ruvidich said...

Thank you! : ) *saw this really late*