My Goodreads Quotes

Allison’s quotes


"Don't you think it's rather nice to think that we're in a book that God's writing? If I were writing a book, I might make mistakes. But God knows how to make the story end just right--in the way that's best for us."
Do you really believe that, Mother?" Peter asked quietly.
Yes," she said, "I do believe it--almost always--except when I'm so sad that I can't believe anything. But even when I don't believe it, I know it's true--and I try to believe it."— E. Nesbit

Friday, July 10, 2015

Reread Challenge

I love Goodreads with the flaming passion of someone who never entirely enjoyed Facebook.  But—it pains me to say this—it can be stressful sometimes.
 
Take their reading challenge, for instance.  As many of you know, I ambitiously challenged myself to read 200 books in 2015.  With their helpful system, I tracked the number of books I read to ensure I was right on schedule.

I made it maybe three months when I realized that it was making reading un-fun.  I couldn’t reread books, because I had to keep reading new ones in order to meet my quota.  That long, dense book I’ve been dying to read?  Forget about it.  I had a schedule to meet.

Sometime around March, I quite cheerfully deleted the challenge.

Ever since then, though, I’ve been in that mindset.  Read new books!  Don’t reread old ones!

But I like rereading books.  It is, in its way, more pleasant and relaxing than reading new books.  Everything I loved is still there, but it’s worn and familiar, like a favorite old blanket.  I pick up on new details that I didn’t notice before.  I can skip the boring parts.

So I have challenged myself this year—not to read more new books, but to reread favorite old ones.  Here is my reread challenge:

The Tiffany Aching series, by the late Sir Terry Pratchett

I read the first book, The Wee Free Men, as a youngster and adored it.  A fairytale about a girl with brown hair?  Was that even allowed?  Then, a little older, I discovered it was a series.  Right now I’m rereading A Hat Full of Sky, which is perhaps one of the best-written books I’ve ever read.  These books are some of Pratchett’s best and great favorites in my house.  And they're posthumously publishing a last one... and I am so afraid....

The Lord of the Rings, by J. R. R. Tolkien

Confession: I’ve only read this series once.  But I’m working my way slowly and surely through The Silmarillion, and it’s inspired me to a reread.

Howl’s Moving Castle and House of Many Ways, by Diana Wynne Jones

I came to these books rather late in life at the grand age of sixteen.  Since then I’ve read them a few times, but I think they’re due another rereading.  They’re my second and third favorite books by Diana Wynne Jones and utterly enchanting!

Those are the three main books on my list, but I’m making a point to incorporate more rereads into my reading diet.  I truly believe that rereads are some of the most important ones.  And so I’m challenging you, readers, to reread one of your favorite books.  Which one will you choose?
 

7 comments:

Sarah said...

I honestly don't worry about the reread bit on Goodreads- if I reread something, I just put it "currently reading" the same as if I were reading a new book. Of course, I just joined in October, so . . .

I do feel the "read just new books" pressure too, though, mostly because of my stack of library books that I need to read before they're due. However, I reread the Wingfeather Saga earlier this year, and I'm planning to reread LOTR sometime in the nearish future as well.

Good luck with your rereading challenge! (Out of curiosity, why aren't you rereading Castle in the Air?)

Jemma Tainsh said...

Good choices! Have fun reading them!
I usually re-read favourite books as soon as I finish them the first time!
I will re-read Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll and Rumplestiltskin by K.M.Shea.

Daniel Phelan said...

I intend to reread The Hobbit and then LotR before reading The Silmarillion (which I have yet to read, period). I reread the first Harry Potter a few years back (via audio book, but sadly not the Stephen Fry-narrated UK version--not to say that I didn't enjoy the US narrator, of course!). I should probably re-reread it and then the other six, plus the "bonus" ones like The Tales of Beedle the Bard, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, Quidditch Through the Ages, etc., and her non-Potter, adult-aimed novels (which I've heard are good).

I should probably restart The Chronicles of Narnia--I've read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe twice - if having it read to my second-grade class counts? - and The Magician's Nephew once, plus part of The Horse and His Boy. Do you have a preferred order when it comes to those? I'd also like to read some of CSL's Christianity books and the Space trilogy.

Also, I want to reread some of the old, old ones (like Beowulf and Sir Gawain and the Green Knight-old).

Maybe blitz through the Magic Treehouse chapter books again--my childhood. :) And I've met the author!!! She's so kind.

I'll also probably reread the Inheritance Cycle (don't judge me!), the original Mistborn trilogy (yes, already), and - in preparation for the new one - To Kill a Mockingbird...depending on how much time I have.

Sorry I haven't commented in such a long time!!!

Love and peace and blessings and stuff,
Danny

ghost ryter said...

Sounds like a fun challenge! Enjoy your rereading! I've only read LOTR once as well, and I've been planning to reread it at some point this year. And I really want to reread Heartless again. ToGW are just about the best books to reread! :D Like Sarah, I'm a bit curious why you're not reading Castle in the Air.

Allison Ruvidich said...

@Sarah and Ghosty- I confess, I always vastly preferred Howl's Moving Castle and House of Many Ways to Castle in the Air. I think I never quite loved Abdullah and Flower-in-the-Night the way I did Howl and Sophie... It's possibly because I'm more used to western fairytales, and the Arabian Nights threw me off. I'll reread it one of these days!

@Jemma- You know, I really ought to reread Alice in Wonderland, too... It scared me when I was younger, so I think I'll get more out of it this time around.

@Danny- Those are all great rereads! I would recommend the Chronicles of Narnia in publishing order; I think that's how C S Lewis probably intended them to be read. It's nice to hear from you again! : )

Anna Atkins said...

I'm doing a similar challenge on Goodreads, but mine's only 150. I feel for you on the rereading part, I think it's absolutely criminal that they don't count rereads! My whole family makes fun of me for constantly rereading my books, but I find it's so lovely to be able to come back to a book that you love, and it's still exactly the same. Right now I'm rereading my way through my Nancy Drew collection, timeless classics they are.

Allison Ruvidich said...

@Anna- That's so great! I'm always curious to see which books withstand a reread and which don't. I admit that I've never read the Nancy Drew books... Shocking! : ) But they're on my list.