My Goodreads Quotes

Allison’s quotes


"Don't you think it's rather nice to think that we're in a book that God's writing? If I were writing a book, I might make mistakes. But God knows how to make the story end just right--in the way that's best for us."
Do you really believe that, Mother?" Peter asked quietly.
Yes," she said, "I do believe it--almost always--except when I'm so sad that I can't believe anything. But even when I don't believe it, I know it's true--and I try to believe it."— E. Nesbit

Friday, June 5, 2015

The 777 Writing Challenge

Hello, readers!  About a million years ago (March), Hannah tagged me in a fun writing challenge.  A while later, though, my childhood laptop gave up the struggle and temporarily trapped all of my files.

I was without Microsoft Word for a month.  It was terrible.

But this latest blog post comes to you from my brand new grown-up laptop, and I'm rearing to get back to blogging and writing!  And so I can finally complete the 777 writing challenge.

The 777 challenge requires you go to Page 7 of your work-in-progress, scroll down to Line 7 and share the next 7 lines in a blog post. Once you have done this, you can tag 7 other bloggers to do the same with their work-in-progress

So without further ado, I present seven lines from my current work-in-progress: The Undying... a fairy story told from the perspective of the fairies.  (I've included eight lines to provide context for the section.)

“We’ll have to leave for Titania soon,” Peaseblossom warned her.  “I don’t mean when we feel like it.  I mean—“ she struggled for some concept of measuring time—“the next time we open our eyes, we’ll have to go find Titania.”
“Well, then,” Gloriana said, leaning back.  Her hair cushioned her.  “Let’s sleep for a hundred years.”

And maybe they did.  Fairies do not sleep lightly.  They do not dream the dreams of innocents.

It bothered Peaseblossom sometimes, the memories that returned when she slept.  Little things, like needles poking into her skin.  She never remembered them when she awoke.

I hope you've enjoyed this little tidbit, readers!  I won't tag anyone in particular, but feel free to play along in the comments!

7 comments:

Hannah said...

OOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo! So intriguing!

Grace M said...

I agree with Hannah that it is intriguing! :-D

Allison Ruvidich said...

@Hannah and Grace- Thank you guys! : D

Jemma Tainsh said...

I pity you for loosing word :(.
When are you going to publish this? It's awesome!

ghost ryter said...

Ooo, I hope I get to read the whole story someday!! I liked this part especially:
“Well, then,” Gloriana said, leaning back. Her hair cushioned her. “Let’s sleep for a hundred years.”

And maybe they did. Fairies do not sleep lightly. They do not dream the dreams of innocents.


Very fae. ;D

Allison Ruvidich said...

@Jemma- Aw, thank you! : ) The rest of this story will probably never see the light of day. It was a smallish project that I thought I would love but was actually lukewarm about. I promise if I finish it, I'll post it on my blog. : D

@Ghosty- Thank you! I hope you do, too, because it means that someday I will have time to edit it. ; D

Sarah said...

*is sneaking back on in the midst of her internet hiatus*
Ooh, this sounds like an awesome story and a lovely bit of dialogue. I want to read the rest. *nods* :D