My Goodreads Quotes

Allison’s quotes


"Don't you think it's rather nice to think that we're in a book that God's writing? If I were writing a book, I might make mistakes. But God knows how to make the story end just right--in the way that's best for us."
Do you really believe that, Mother?" Peter asked quietly.
Yes," she said, "I do believe it--almost always--except when I'm so sad that I can't believe anything. But even when I don't believe it, I know it's true--and I try to believe it."— E. Nesbit

Thursday, May 28, 2015

Nightstand Books: May

Hello, dear readers!  Once again, I am capitalizing on Jenelle Schmidt's and DJ Edwardson's delicious blogging prompt: a picture of my nightstand in all its book-laden glory!

Behold.



As you can tell, my stack is significantly less ambitious than last month's.  Although my schedule is far from busy, I've been much more productive in other venues this month, which leaves me less reading time.  Alas!

The top book is The Heaven Tree Trilogy, by Edith Pargeter, which I confess I haven't read yet.  I've heard wonderful things about it, but thus far, I haven't touched it.  I still have four days until June!

Below this, you see A.D. 30, by Ted Dekker... which I also haven't read yet.  It is, for the record, the most difficult book to search for on Goodreads, because you must get the punctuation precisely correct.  Two periods.  No spaces.  A.D.  Like The Heaven Tree, I've heard great things about it.

Thirdly, we have The Count of Monte Cristo, by Alexandre Dumas.  This is a reread in honor of summer.  I adore the swashbuckling, over-the-top, ridiculously improbable adventure of this book because it doesn't take itself too seriously.  It knows it's crazy.  This translation is by Lowell Bair, who also abridged it.  I generally don't like abridging books, but I've compared it to the original, and the abridgement is very subtly, tastefully done.  I watched the movie last night while re-alphabetizing some bookshelves, and it was delightful despite the massively altered ending.

Beneath that, you have The Dragonbone Chair, by Tad Williams.  It's exciting to read what is often considered a classic in the fantastical canon.  I'm only a hundred or so pages in, and I'm finding it somewhat technical in its exposition of the world.  I feel like I have to take notes on various historical events and figures, and that isn't necessarily a feeling I relish.  I still plan on finishing it... eventually.

Fifthly, I present The Gospel According to Tolkien, by Ralph C. Wood.  I've barely finished the introduction, and I can already tell I'll love this book.  It focuses largely on the fact that Tolkien didn't maintain a one-to-one connection in his allegory, and what the ambiguity of this means to the overall impact.  I'm reading it in preparation for a grand reread of the series, then a first-time read of The Silmarillion and The Children of Hurin.

Next comes The Chronicles of Narnia, by C. S. Lewis.  This is another reread, although only barely.  (I read it for the first time last summer.)  This time, my Wonderful Mother is reading it aloud to me, which is truly a special experience!

And finally, squashed beneath all the other books, is my Bible.  I've never read it all the way through, so I am embarking on a voyage to read it in its entirety.  I just finished Ecclesiastes and am twiddling my thumbs and dithering before starting Song of Solomon, also called Song of Songs.  I am perpetually amazed by the beauty, wonder, and wisdom of this awe-inspiring work.

So there is my nightstand!  What are your thoughts on these books?  What's on your nightstand?

7 comments:

Psalms w guitar said...

Excellent set! I thoroughly enjoyed The Gospel According to Tolkien: Visions of the Kingdom in Middle-Earth about 10 years ago.

I notice you actually like reading books not kindle.

Sarah said...

Looks like an awesome stack!

ghost ryter said...

I've heard a lot about The Heaven Tree trilogy...you'll have to let me know what you think! :)

Which Count of Monte Cristo did you watch, by the way?

Jemma Tainsh said...

I haven't heard of The Heaven Tree trilogy, what's it about?
You have a great stack of books!
I don't have a nightstand but if I did it would have The Wee Free Men, War and Peace, my Bible and The BFG.

Allison Ruvidich said...

@Psalms- Yes, I admit I prefer hard copies. For some reason, it's so unsatisfying just posting a picture of my kindle! ; )

@Sarah- Thanks!

@Ghosty- I watched the 1934 version. The link was supposed to take you there, but I messed it up. It's fixed now. : )

@Jemma- It's about a period of art in England in the early 1200s... It's not the most gripping read; I'm getting through it slooowly. What's the BFG?

Jemma Tainsh said...

Ok. The BFG is by Roald Dhal, it is very funny. It's about a Big Friendly Giant.

Allison Ruvidich said...

Ha! I'll have to try it. : )