My Goodreads Quotes

Allison’s quotes


"Don't you think it's rather nice to think that we're in a book that God's writing? If I were writing a book, I might make mistakes. But God knows how to make the story end just right--in the way that's best for us."
Do you really believe that, Mother?" Peter asked quietly.
Yes," she said, "I do believe it--almost always--except when I'm so sad that I can't believe anything. But even when I don't believe it, I know it's true--and I try to believe it."— E. Nesbit

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Nightstand Books: April

Hello, readers!  A few weeks ago I found the most adorable post on Jenelle Schmidt's (author of the Minstrel's Song series and coauthor of Five Enchanted Roses) blog: Nightstand Books, in which she takes a picture of the books loitering on her nightstand this month.  With Jenelle's generous permission, I am greatly pleased to launch the series on my blog.

Disclaimer: I did not come up with this.  The idea belongs entirely to Jenelle Schmidt and D J Edwardson.

And here is my nightstand, which of course totally is always as clean and polished as it is in this photo.  Totally...


This may seem like a lot of books to read in one month, but classes are beginning to wrap up, and I find that I have-- wonder of wonders-- free time!

The two books on top are Aristotle's Poetics, by-- um-- Aristotle, and The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin, by-- well-- Benjamin Franklin.  I have been reading these two slender little volumes for what seems like forever and a few years.  They're both short and excellent, so I don't know why they're taking me so long.

Actually, I do, because directly beneath them is my ARC copy of Draven's Light, by Anne Elisabeth Stengl, which I finished this morning.  I will review it shortly, so I won't say anything more except that it is, obviously, beautiful.

Below it you see Angels and Insects, by A. S. Byatt.  I know absolutely nothing about this book, but I love other work by this author, and my wonderful English teacher lent me her copy.

Moving down the stack, we have Assassin's Quest, by Robin Hobb, another book which I have been reading for a small eternity.  Like most of Hobb's work, it's wonderful, and I don't know why it's taking me so long except that it's one of twelve books currently on my nightstand.

Beneath that is The Winner's Curse, by Marie Rutkoski.  I've only read the first few chapters, but so far I like it because the heroine is a musician in adversity, which you don't exactly come to expect in young adult literature.  (I also kind of hate it, because the sideways pattern of the beautiful cover is echoed throughout the book, which means I'm straining my neck trying to read it the right way up.)

Then we come to The Book of Atrix Wolfe, by Patricia McKillip.  I heard of this book on Candice William's blog when she reviewed it, and having enjoyed McKillip in the past, I'm looking forward to this one, too.

Next comes Raising Steam, by Sir Terry Pratchett, the last Discworld book published before his passing.  I finished this one yesterday.  It features my favorite Discworld character, one Moist von Lipwig, but I, like many readers, found it lacking when compared to the previous books.  I think Pratchett was less... ruthless in this book.  It was unsettling.

Next come four library books: The Forest of Hands and Teeth, by Carrie Ryan; Touch Not the Cat, by Mary Stewart (which I heard about while discreetly stalking Suzannah Rowntree's blog); Enchanted Glass, by Diana Wynne Jones; and An Echo in the Darkness, by Francine Rivers, which I haven't read yet and am increasingly nervous about.

Wow, that was a lot of books!  I don't know if I'll finish them this month-- some of them I'm not sure I'll finish at all-- but I have to admit, there's something pretty about books stacked on a nightstand.

How about you, readers?  What's on your nightstand this month?  And thank you, Jenelle and D J, for letting me borrow your awesome posts!

14 comments:

Jenelle Leanne said...

That is quite the stack of books! And you are most welcome! I'm glad you liked the idea!

Ooh, I shall definitely have to find a copy of Enchanted Glass. I love Jones' books, and I am coming to discover that I have only read a small fraction of her writings!

Anonymous said...

You read Draven's Light? Lucky you! I still enjoyed Raising Steam, even though it wasn't as good as the others. I haven't heard of the others:(
I've been reading more Pratchett and The Immortals.
Jemma

Katie Grace said...

Advanced. Reader. Copy. Of. Draven's. Light?!

*heavy breathing*
I'm jealous. xD But I can't wait for your review.

Sarah said...

I can't have a nightstand stack- my stack would break my nightstand. But at the moment, the highlights are:
-The Ryn by Serena Chase
-The Tough Guide to Fantasyland by Diana Wynne Jones (which I'm currently reading and enjoying)
-The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents by Terry Pratchett (On a side note, Discworld is not a good thing to read if you want to be productive, but if you want to forget that you need to be productive it's very helpful.)
-Seraphina (reread), and maybe Shadow Scale; I haven't decided how much I'm bothered by the aspect you mentioned a while ago. On one hand, I've read other books where the characters do that; on the other, that doesn't make it right.
-Maybe Storm Front by Jim Butcher, because I kind of want to give the Dresden Files a try but part of my brain is saying I have other books I need to read.

Sarah said...

Also, because I got so caught up in talking about my books that I forgot I had things to say about yours:
-Draven's Light! Lucky! I thought about signing up to be a reviewer, but . . . no time. :(
-I want to try the Assassins series (don't know what the real name of it is) but haven't had time> it looks cool, though.
-Raising Steam sounds really cool; I'm disappointed to hear it isn't as good.
-Enchanted Glass and Touch Not the Cat both sound interesting. I shall have to look into them.

I very much enjoyed reading this post!

Hannah said...

WAIT WHAT????????????????

How did you get an advanced paperback copy of Draven's Light? Ohmigash, drooling for mine!!!!

ghost ryter said...

Firstly, that's is quite a lot of books you got there. I approve. :)

Secondly, DRAGON'S LIGHT. JEALOUS.

Thirdly, don't be nervous about An Echo in the Darkness. It's beautiful, exciting, and pretty much one of the best sequels I've read.

Allison Ruvidich said...

@Jenelle- Isn't it glorious how much she wrote? And nearly all of it is fantastic.

@Jemma- I still enjoyed it because Moist was in it. : )

@Katie Grace and Hannah- I won one of the three copies she gave out during the cover reveal. It makes me happy. : D

@Sarah- Wow! Many, many books! Be sure to let me know if you try the Dresden Files; I've been wondering about them for a while.

@Ghosty- I know, I'll get around to it. It's just huge, and I'm busy, and I'm afraid that if I return it without reading it, I never will read it.

Hannah said...

Ooooooooh, okay that makes sense! Congratulations! I started wondering if you were a relative! ;)

Allison Ruvidich said...

Haha, no. (But that would be sooo cool!!)

Candice Williams said...

I've been seeing The Winner's Curse everywhere! It sounds like an awesome book, I think I'll order it from the library now.

Allison Ruvidich said...

@Candice- Go for it! : D

DJ Edwardson said...

Allison, so glad you could join our us in the Nightstand fun. My goodness that is a lot of books. You must have a very sturdy nightstand to support them all.

Congratulations on being such a prolific reader. I look forward to seeing how many of these you get through next month!

Allison Ruvidich said...

Haha, thank you, DJ! It is indeed a long-suffering, much-tested nighstand.