My Goodreads Quotes

Allison’s quotes


"Don't you think it's rather nice to think that we're in a book that God's writing? If I were writing a book, I might make mistakes. But God knows how to make the story end just right--in the way that's best for us."
Do you really believe that, Mother?" Peter asked quietly.
Yes," she said, "I do believe it--almost always--except when I'm so sad that I can't believe anything. But even when I don't believe it, I know it's true--and I try to believe it."— E. Nesbit

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

In Memory of Sir Terry Pratchett

Once upon a time, there lived a man who wrote beautiful stories.  Although they were not true in the classical sense, they resonated with unspoken truths and emotions.  Those quirky, irresistible stories influenced generations of readers and writers... including me.


He was Sir Terry Pratchett, and he passed away five days ago.


I did not know him personally.  I only know his stories, which I love.  I read his The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents at a young age and quickly followed it with his Tiffany Aching series.  A little bit older, I found the rest of his Discworld books: dozens and dozens of witty, hilarious, heartfelt novels.


He was a giant among fantasy authors, and it pains me to think of the novels we shall never have because of his untimely passing.  (If you feel like having a cry, read what his daughter wrote after his death.)  But I feel blessed that he left us so many of his wonderful, wonderful stories.  Rest in peace, Sir Terry Pratchett.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so sad...
Jemma

Hannah said...

Even though I've read only one book, I mourn his loss for I have so many friends who speak the world of his writing. I look forward to reading more someday!

Allison Ruvidich said...

Agreed to both of you! : (

Psalms w guitar said...

His books are so entertaining for me. I also find that there is a good bit of wisdom in them, especially the Tiffany Aching books. "I Shall Wear Midnight"was wonderful.

Allison Ruvidich said...

Agreed! I have heard that, before his passing, he wrote another Tiffany Aching book called the Shepherd's Crown, which his publisher plans on releasing. It's nice to know that we haven't seen his entire work yet.