My Goodreads Quotes

Allison’s quotes


"Don't you think it's rather nice to think that we're in a book that God's writing? If I were writing a book, I might make mistakes. But God knows how to make the story end just right--in the way that's best for us."
Do you really believe that, Mother?" Peter asked quietly.
Yes," she said, "I do believe it--almost always--except when I'm so sad that I can't believe anything. But even when I don't believe it, I know it's true--and I try to believe it."— E. Nesbit

Saturday, February 14, 2015

Book Review: Jane, by Michelle Onuorah

Hello, readers!  Today, in the spirit of St. Valentine's Day, I am pleased to review the novel Jane, by Michelle Onuorah, in conjunction with the novel's blog tour.  Tune back in tomorrow for an interview with Ms. Onuorah herself, along with all the pretty book details that I won't include today. 

After an abusive childhood and chaotic college years, Jane Daugherty finally has her life together.  True, she has neither friends nor family-- but she has a job and a roof over her head, of a sorts, and she is determined to prove that those are all she needs... 

... until a figure from her tortured past reemerges in Jane's life, and she is forced to confront everything she has never had: a comfortable lifestyle, freedom from care, and a loving family.  And Jane finds herself wondering if she can trust again, or if her heart will forever be broken.

Jane deals with many complex, mature issues, and as such, I would not recommend it to anyone shy of eighteen.  And because I unavoidably must bring up a few of those issues in this book review, I ask that young readers continue cautiously beyond this point. 

I am generally not a fan of romance like Jane, but I have always adored a tortured heroine struggling to repair herself on her own, which the title character undoubtedly is.  The character of Jane was incredibly traumatized, both physically and psychologically, and I appreciated her journey to realizing that she couldn't fix herself alone. 

Jane addressed meaty topics like social class, age, and race.  Particularly it takes a close, hard look at which relationships and activities are acceptable prior to marriage.  Here Ms. Onuorah took a great risk: throughout the course of the novel, Jane's ideas on this topic radically change from a blasé to a much more conservative opinion.  Ms. Onuorah portrays all of this.  Although I appreciate her honesty, I did not want to read about that, and quite frankly, I did not.  Every time a scene contained something with which I was not comfortable, I skipped it.  I do not feel like I missed anything. 

Despite this, Jane had realistic characters, heartbreakingly beautiful family ties, and a searching look at a damaged soul.  Jane is a heavy novel despite its small size and one that fans of realistic romance with an ability to skim will no doubt enjoy.

4 comments:

Laura Pol said...

Great review and I appreciate your honesty Allison! There were a few scenes that made me uncomfortable as well, but is one I am still enjoying as well. Thanks for being part of the tour! :)

ghost ryter said...

Thank you for an honest review! :)

Michelle said...

Thanks for taking the time to read and review Jane, Allison. Looking forward to our interview tomorrow :)

-Michelle

Allison Ruvidich said...

Ghosty and Laura- Thanks!

Ms. Michelle- Thanks so much! It's an honor having you.