My Goodreads Quotes

Allison’s quotes


"Don't you think it's rather nice to think that we're in a book that God's writing? If I were writing a book, I might make mistakes. But God knows how to make the story end just right--in the way that's best for us."
Do you really believe that, Mother?" Peter asked quietly.
Yes," she said, "I do believe it--almost always--except when I'm so sad that I can't believe anything. But even when I don't believe it, I know it's true--and I try to believe it."— E. Nesbit

Monday, January 5, 2015

Back to Work...

Subtitled: A Requiem for Winter Break

To any person involved in education, winter break stands out as a shining beacon of freedom and laziness.  It summons up images of reading by the fire, blinking eyelashes dusted with snowflakes, smiling down on glossy packages arranged under an evergreen tree.

It is very hard to admit that it is over.  And it is harder still to admit that, at times, it feels like it never happened at all.

I had an untraditional Christmas this year.  Typically, we celebrate in the usual fashion, then drive down to spend New Year's with my lovely aunt and uncle in Alabama.  This year, though, my gorgeous sister had a photo-shoot in late December, which soundly interrupted our plans.  The dates were juggled around, and finally we settled on a somewhat unconventional traveling date: December 25.

So we wrapped up Christmas a day early.  We began and ended on Christmas Eve and spent the day itself desperately searching for open restaurants.

I don't mean to sound self-pitying, and I don't mean to make out my parents as heartless Grinches who ruined Christmas.  That is far from the truth.  I had a lovely holiday season, and I feel so blessed to be able to spend so much time with my family.

We now stand on the business-side of the semester.  A solid four months of work bar us from fleeting, tantalizing glimpses of summer.  And I intend to get an awful lot done between now and then.

Remember how I needed help finding a title for a short story?  Thanks to your cunning suggestions, dear readers, the short story turned out rather better than planned.  So much better, in fact, that certain exciting events have come into motion that will likely merit another post in the near future.  But I shan't say more on that until it comes!

Another desperately important event looms in February.  No, it's not Valentine's Day, nor Presidents' Day.  It is my birthday.  And to properly celebrate, we'll be diving into something near and dear to my heart: classic books!  We'll take a tour through my top ten favorite classics (like we did last year for books in general), and the ten-day festivities will conclude with a giveaway of a book of your choice from the list!

And because it's only January 5, I'll conclude with a few New Year's Resolutions:

1. Run every day

(As of January 4, I have succeeded!)

2. Finish to-read pile

(My to-read pile is a crate in my bedroom filled with a hundred-odd books that I own but haven't read yet.)

3. Do not buy any more books!

(As of January 2, I have failed.)

How about you, readers?  Any New Year's Resolutions?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you complete your resolutions! Well maybe not 3, that would be to hard for anyone! My resolutions are mostly reading ones, like read the entire Discworld series, buy Five Enchanted Roses when it comes out, I suppose one of them would be to get rid of my eczema. I hope you have a great year!
Jemma

Allison Ruvidich said...

If you read all the Discworld books, you'll be about 25 ahead of me. : ) I love those books so much, but there are so many of them... Half my family has eczema, so I feel your pain. : ( We use a moisturizer called Eucerin; have you heard of it? It's like divine nectar for skin.

Sarah said...

Sounds like you had an exciting Christmas, if unusual.
Looking forward to the classic books posts! I'm sure they'll be fun! And I'm glad your short story turned out well.
Good luck on your resolutions!
I mostly have writing resolutions/goals that boil down to "write more or less every day". And then I have a few non-writing resolutions, like doing photography every month and getting English assignments in on time.

Anonymous said...

Actually, I've read 25 as of yesterday :). No I haven't heard of it, I use a mixture of coconut oil and lavender, and our family is doing no sugar (it's helping, but it's annoying).
Jemma

Allison Ruvidich said...

@Sarah- Those pesky English assignments! I know what you mean... : ) Good luck!

@Jemma- 25?? Overachiever! : D I've never tried coconut oil and lavender... It sounds great!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, only 15 more to go! My library is being really slow with The Thief of Time:( After that I might try the Queen's Thief.
Jemma

Allison Ruvidich said...

You should definitely try Queen's Thief. It is a gorgeous series! Best of luck with the last 15. ; )

ghost ryter said...

Ooh, I can't wait to hear your news about the short-story!

Also, you should have known #3 was doomed from the start. ;)

Allison Ruvidich said...

Alas for ill-fated resolutions! Really, though; I own 139 books that I haven't read yet, and that's not even counting my family's book collection. I cannot get any more before I read these, which is, coincidentally, resolution number 4.