My Goodreads Quotes

Allison’s quotes


"Don't you think it's rather nice to think that we're in a book that God's writing? If I were writing a book, I might make mistakes. But God knows how to make the story end just right--in the way that's best for us."
Do you really believe that, Mother?" Peter asked quietly.
Yes," she said, "I do believe it--almost always--except when I'm so sad that I can't believe anything. But even when I don't believe it, I know it's true--and I try to believe it."— E. Nesbit

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Merry Christmas To Me!

My Christmas presents to myself came.

Yes, I do buy Christmas presents to myself.  I have found that if I rely on others to determine what I'd like for Christmas, I end up with plenty of socks but little in the way of reading.  So I chose to take matters into my own hands.

Behold:


They include the following:

The Graveyard Book, by Neil Gaiman.  I cannot express how powerfully this book struck me.  I listened to it on audiobook while practicing ballet.  For those who have read it, you know the strange, dreadful power of the conclusion.  I remember dancing and listening to it, then stretching and listening to it, then finally just listening, tears rolling down my face as the book ended.  I confess I had a great shock when I received the print copy.  As cunningly narrated as the audio version is, it neglects one detail: The Graveyard Book is illustrated!  I look forward to many a happy rereads, gleefully examining the pictures.  This is easily my favorite book by Neil Gaiman, and I recommend it highly to all ages but especially older teenagers-- not because of any content, but because the message is particularly true to us.

Doomsday Book, by Connie Willis.  Like The Graveyard Book, I read this one only a few weeks ago.  It takes place at Oxford College in the year 2056, where historians now have access to time-travel technology in order to study events first-hand.  (Absolutely!)  This book is stunning.  Willis greatly explores the social effects of science fiction.  For example, if one could visit the future but not change or take back anything, what would the good be?  Who would monopolize it?  I highly recommend this one to mature readers because it can be incredibly gruesome in its portrayal of disease.

To Say Nothing of the Dog, by Connie Willis.  The sequel-companion to the tragic, dramatic Doomsday Book, this book instead follows an intensely humorous route.  I love this book even better than its predecessor, and I am particularly impressed that Willis mastered drama and comedy so effectively.  Although this book is, to the best of my remembrance, entirely clean and suitable for readers of all ages, I don't suggest reading it before either Doomsday Book or Three Men in a Boat, by Jerome K. Jerome, which inspired it.

Royal Assassin, by Robin Hobb.  I recently finished her wonderful Assassin's Apprentice and was ready to sink my teeth into the rest of her work when-- the horror!-- I realized that my library only has the first and the third book of this trilogy.  Quitting was absolutely not an option, so I bought the pretty paperback.  I confess I haven't actually read it yet.  The books for the Blogger Awards are amazing, but I've had to read eight of them in a month, so I probably won't get to this until after I finish those.

Edit: I forgot to mention anything by Robin Hobb is definitely for older teenagers.  Also, let it be known that mere minutes after writing this, I broke and started reading Royal Assassin.  Oops!

And last but not least, Pictures of Hollis Woods, by Patricia Reilly Giff.  This is the story of Hollis Woods, abandoned when she was only an hour old.  Through a collection of sketches, she tries to understand where her life went wrong and where she can go from here.  This is not my usual cup of tea; so much so that I actually didn't buy this book.  Instead, a dear friend lent it to me, promising I would love it, and she was not wrong!  Although less than two hundred pages, this book stamped over my heart in the most delightful way.

These are only five of the books from my wish-list.  If I'm feeling particularly nice this year, and Amazon is feeling particularly cost-friendly, I might buy myself a few more for the actual day.  How about you?  Any books for Christmas?

11 comments:

Sarah said...

Your family doesn't buy you books for Christmas? O_o
I'm 100% certain that I'll get at least a half-dozen books for Christmas; I almost always do. My family knows how much I love books- the fact that 75% of my wishlist certainly helps tip them off. xD I'm hoping for THE WAR OF SWORDS by D. Barkley Briggs and RESISTANCE by Jaye L. Knight in particular. And then after Christmas, I'll possibly go on a Barnes and Noble shopping spree, since I do have a gift card left from my birthday. :D
Your books look cool, though I've never tried anything by those authors, period. I have a Neil Gaiman book on my TBR list, so we'll see when I get to that.

Hannah said...

Socks instead of books???? That's SooOOoo sad! But it looks like you're treating yourself quite well! :)

Allison Ruvidich said...

Yeah, my dad likes nonfiction and my mom likes the classics. They'll gladly get me book money, but choosing quality fantasy confuses them.

@Sarah- I haven't heard of Briggs before! I must investigate...

@Hannah- I try. ; )

Anonymous said...

My Mum likes reading the same books as me, it gets really annoying sometimes though because when we're reading an unfinished series and the next book comes out, sometimes my Mum refuses to let me read the next one until she has (Arrgghh! Come on and read the next Lemony Snicket Mum!)
It would be sad not having your parents read the same stuff as you:( Almost as sad as getting socks:( I haven't read any of those books, would you recommend them to a 12yr old?
Jemma

Allison Ruvidich said...

That is so funny!!! I guess my mom was a little bit like that when we read the Harry Potter series together... It got pretty vicious. ; )

Of these books, I'd recommend Pictures of Hollis Woods, Graveyard Book, and Three Men in a Boat (which I briefly mentioned) for you. Although now you've got me thinking... I might want to do a post on my favorite books when I was younger.... : ) Grace M just did that on her blog, and it sounds fun!

Allison Ruvidich said...

Actually, now that I think about it, the protagonist of 'Picture of Hollis Woods' is twelve years old!

Anonymous said...

Ok, thank you very much. I have been looking for books to read. I will search in kindle store for them.
At the moment I am re-reading The Book of Dragons by E Nesbit which is really for all ages (other than for those who don't want to read a little kid book) It is sweet.
Jemma

Allison Ruvidich said...

Ooh, Nesbit! I have heard SO much about her, and I've read books inspired by her style, but I've never actually read something by her... Tell me how it is! : )

Anonymous said...

Her style for children's books (the only ones I've read) is kind of sweet with a amusing commentary by her, sometimes they don't make sense-but in a way that makes you smile, their the kind of book that I will read to my grandchildren(though I'll have to wait, like 50 years).
By the way, I just got goodreads, can we be friends?
Jemma

Allison Ruvidich said...

Absolutely yes! : D My username is Allison Ruvidich; I'm not that hard to find. It'll be fun! And I absolutely must try Nesbit...

Anonymous said...

Great! Mine is JemmaTheBookElf (I think).
Jemma