My Goodreads Quotes

Allison’s quotes


"Don't you think it's rather nice to think that we're in a book that God's writing? If I were writing a book, I might make mistakes. But God knows how to make the story end just right--in the way that's best for us."
Do you really believe that, Mother?" Peter asked quietly.
Yes," she said, "I do believe it--almost always--except when I'm so sad that I can't believe anything. But even when I don't believe it, I know it's true--and I try to believe it."— E. Nesbit

Thursday, December 4, 2014

It's the Holiday Season!

"No, it's not," says a Certain Member of My Family, who considers the holiday season to be December 24, 25, and the first half of the 26.

I believe that the holiday season starts October 31 and keeps going until February 24 (the birthday of yours truly), and once you get that far, Easter and spring break are right around the corner, and then the year is practically over!

Maybe that's because I've been busy lately.  You decide.

Anyway, while decorating my family's Christmas tree and listening to John Denver and the Muppets, I came up with some questions to help remind myself that the holiday season is not about the commercialized celebration but something much more profound.  They are:

Is it possible for an ornament to actually hang straight, or do they manufacture them to spin around sideways?

Will anyone notice that I haven't decorated the top foot of the Christmas tree because I'm too short?

Why do I always volunteer to cook Christmas dinner?

Why do we eat Christmas dinner on Christmas Day, not Christmas Eve?

(I actually know the answer to this question.  It's because on Christmas Eve my family, for reasons unclear, has Sloppy Joes for dinner.  I don't like Sloppy Joes.  I usually eat a bun soaked in sauce.)

How many times can you watch Larry the Cucumber's rendition of Oh, Santa before it gets old?  (I actually can't answer this one yet.  Ask me in January.)

And finally, why, oh why, is every project in my life due on December 16?

Feel free to use these questions yourself to discover the true meaning of Christmas.  Alternatively, you could watch Veggie Tales, which works just as well.

My family has a wealth of eccentric Christmas traditions, some of which have already begun, such as the Advent calendar, and some which will not be done until December 23, such as Christmas shopping.  On the afternoon of Christmas Eve we fight viciously for seats in Church so we can remember how blessed we are.  For dinner we (most of us) eat Sloppy Joes.

Then we tear into our family Christmas gifts.  The general rule is that the sillier the gift, the better.  This apparently originated in my mom's family, where one time Great Grandma Dorrit gave a gift so funny that it circulated through the family for countless Christmases and my mom, when attempting to tell it, giggles so hard that I'm actually not sure what it is.  Perhaps it is better off that way.

On Christmas morning, the only morning of the year when Certain Family Members rise early, we shred wrapping paper violently then lay about, stunned and shell-shocked, for the rest of the day.

What about you?  Any crazy traditions?

Note: This was supposed to publish this morning, but I was silly.  : /

11 comments:

Grace M said...

You're Christmas sounds delightful and fun! (Save for the Sloppy Joes. I'm not a fan of them either...) And yes, Veggie Tales are always an option no matter one's age. :-)

Anonymous said...

Your blog posts are often very amusing, this one is no exception. Veggie Tales and the Muppets don't grow old very easily. No traditions in our family, I'm not sure wether that's a bad thing though
Jemma
Ps. I thought Sloppy Joes were a type of jumper??

Anonymous said...

Your blog posts are often very amusing, this one is no exception. Veggie Tales and the Muppets don't grow old very easily. No traditions in our family, I'm not sure wether that's a bad thing though
Jemma
Ps. I thought Sloppy Joes were a type of jumper??

Anonymous said...

Darn, why does the comment thing always make me say things twice?

Allison Ruvidich said...

Haha, no worries. It just means more comments for me-- yippee! Sloppy Joes are a sandwich of ground beef stewed in spiced tomato sauce. I don't care much for it. : P

Sarah said...

You do Advent too? :D It's awesome to find someone else who does it- usually when I mention it, people are like "Sarah, what is this thing of which you speak?"

We eat Christmas dinner on Christmas Day as well- but we have pizza for dinner on Christmas Eve. Better than sloppy joes, IMO.

Weird thing: when my family opens presents, it usually takes all morning or longer. But other people are apparently done in only a few hours. Though that may be because my family:
A) starts late (some people may rise early, but we usually have a big breakfast that takes a while to make, eat, and clean up), and
B) takes turns opening presents one at a time- which is pretty fun, since it makes the excitement last longer and you get to see people's reactions to particularly awesome presents. (I think part of the reason we do it is also because my dad insists on taking pictures of people opening every single present.)

Allison Ruvidich said...

We do that, too!! I mean, opening the presents one at a time. We really savor it. : ) Though I admit breakfast is woefully abandoned in favor of presents. We usually get exotic fruit in our stockings, so we might eat that. Advent is such a poor, underrated holiday season, when really, if you do an Advent calendar, it is an excuse to eat a piece of chocolate every day!

Daniel Phelan said...

(Disclaimer, I typed a comment a few minutes ago that didn't show up, so two similar wordings might appear.)

Years and years ago, my youngest sister blurted out, "Daddy, you're gonna be SO SURPRISED when you open your new wallet!" We (meaning I) have never let her forget about that.

Also, I'd imagine that your family also gives and receives a lot of books, music, etc.?

Allison Ruvidich said...

Haha! I admit my parents know exactly what I'm getting them. : ) They do give a ton of music, but they have long since learned not to give books. They just give book money. : D

Anonymous said...

Sloppy Joes don't sound that bad, what's wrong with them?? Now that I come to think about it, my family does the same thing as Sarah for B, except it's my Mum who loves taking photos. Our Church has the tradition of having a fair trade party/sale thing.
Jemma

Allison Ruvidich said...

I don't like ground beef! It's one of my quirks. : ) Your Church fair sounds lovely! We go to Mass on Christmas Eve; it's a bit of a race for seats, and we usually end up in the lobby... where you can't hear the choir, so I get to sing all the Christmas carols on my own! Hurrah!