My Goodreads Quotes

Allison’s quotes


"Don't you think it's rather nice to think that we're in a book that God's writing? If I were writing a book, I might make mistakes. But God knows how to make the story end just right--in the way that's best for us."
Do you really believe that, Mother?" Peter asked quietly.
Yes," she said, "I do believe it--almost always--except when I'm so sad that I can't believe anything. But even when I don't believe it, I know it's true--and I try to believe it."— E. Nesbit

Sunday, December 21, 2014

Blogger Awards 2014, Best Heroine!

Merry Christmas, readers!  I can't tell you how excited I am for the Blogger Awards... and how honored and astounded I am by the wonderful books I got to read for them! 


For over a month, our judges read and studied three books: "Entertaining Angels," by Emerald Barnes; "Plenilune," by Jennifer Freitag; and "Resistance," by Jaye L. Knight.  Specifically, we examined the three heroines of those novels: Madison, Margaret Coventry, and Kyrin Altair respectively.  We thoroughly enjoyed reading about all of them, but one particularly caught our eye.  Although it was difficult, we have made our decision.

But first, meet these lovely girls!

MADISON no longer feels comfortable in her own body.  She's an unhealthy weight, and she hates herself for it.  Despite the support of her family and friends, she develops an eating disorder.  With her psychological and physical health at risk, Madison must remember that she is a person worth loving, and that is worth fighting for.

MARGARET COVENTRY has a perfectly reasonable plan: in order to avoid family scandal, she will flee to Naples, then woo and wed a rich gentleman unfamiliar with her questionable relatives.  The plan goes awry, however, when the future Overlord of Plenilune kidnaps her to be his unwilling bride.  Little does he realize, though, that Margaret Coventry is more than a pretty face.  She is an Englishwoman, an she is prepared to fight for her own.

KYRIN ALTAIR can remember with perfect detail everything she experienced from the age of four.  This curse disguised as a blessing attracts the attention of the malevolent emperor, who forces her into his service.  Kyrin cannot hide her controversial faith forever, though, and soon she must face perilous choices in her quest for a free life.

The winner is...



Margaret stands apart from the crowd in a variety of ways.  Tough-as-nails and selfless, she also behaves with manners and inhibitions entirely believable in a Victorian lady.  She is witty, fierce, and though not fearless, brave enough to behave the same way.  She is a golden heroine, and I adored reading about her.

We are lucky enough to have an acceptance speech from her creator, Jennifer Freitag:

"I want to thank all my supporters for the opportunity to be nominated for the Blogger Awards of 2014. You did it behind my back, without my knowledge that the Blogger Awards was even in existence, which means you actually cared about Plenilune and my work enough to spread the word. I want to thank everyone who voted my character Margaret Coventry as Best Heroine: you all know that Plenilune is a long book, and having come to know and love Margaret over such a lengthy period of time as it took to write the novel, it is wonderful to see others enjoying her company as well. My hope is that this award will inspire others to meet her as well. Thank you."

Well said, Ms. Freitag!  I hope you enjoyed the awards, readers-- and be sure to check out these lovely books and tune back in for the rest of the awards!  Head over to Hannah's  blog tomorrow for Best Hero!  And if you're interested in hosting a category next year, contact me at aruvidich@gmail.com.

 

 
Best Cover,hosted by Hannah Williams on Friday, December 19
 
Best Title,hosted by Clara Diane Thompson on Saturday, December 20
 
Best Heroine, hosted by myself on Sunday, December 21
 
Best Hero, hosted by Hannah Williams on Monday, December 22
 
Best Author, hosted by Ghost Wryter on Tuesday, December 23
 
Best Book, hosted by myself on Wednesday, December 24

7 comments:

Hannah said...

Awesome! I look forward to reading Plenilune! Margret sounds wonderful!

Allison Ruvidich said...

You're going to love it, Hannah. : D

ghost ryter said...

Ooh, Margaret sounds fascinating! I hadn't realized "Plenilune" was set for in the Victorian era...for some reason, that makes me want to read it more. :)

Allison Ruvidich said...

It is wonderful! Read it! : D

Anonymous said...

Plenilune seems to get a lot of awards! I'll have to read it to. All those heroines sound intriguing!
Jemma

Allison Ruvidich said...

As much as I love Plenilune... I have to say you'll want to wait a few years before you try it. : ( There are a few inappropriate, scary spots.

Anonymous said...

Ok :(