My Goodreads Quotes

Allison’s quotes


"Don't you think it's rather nice to think that we're in a book that God's writing? If I were writing a book, I might make mistakes. But God knows how to make the story end just right--in the way that's best for us."
Do you really believe that, Mother?" Peter asked quietly.
Yes," she said, "I do believe it--almost always--except when I'm so sad that I can't believe anything. But even when I don't believe it, I know it's true--and I try to believe it."— E. Nesbit

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Guest Post-- Fan Fiction, by Ghost Ryter

 
 
Hello, Ghosty!  Thanks for dropping by the Art of Storytelling.  Tell me about yourself.  Do you have any hobbies?  What's the last book you read?     

Let's see ... I just finished "House of Stairs" by William Slater, which was amazing. (If you want a dystopian novel WITHOUT a love-triangle,  and one that DOESN'T tell you humans are little more than animals, then this is your book.) For hobbies, I enjoy playing music (ukele, guitar, mandolin...), crocheting, and growing roses (which is actually more a form of self-torture than anything else, what with how I stab myself with thorns left and right). And of course,  I love to read.  
 
I'm sure you get this a lot, but... how did you choose the penname Ghost Ryter? 

Well, as most people can probably tell, it's a play on 'ghost writer'. But the unusual spelling comes from a book I first read whe I was eleven, "The Last Book in the Universe". It was a huge influence for me, and still is, especially the character named---you guessed it---Ryter. 


What book has most influenced you?

Hmm... tough question. If you mean fiction, I'd have to say I've been most influenced by The Chronicles of Narnia (not one book, I know). Those were some of the first fantasy books I ever read, and they showed me there was more to Christian fiction than Elsie Dinsmore (*gag gag*).
      

At what point did you become a writer?  Have you always been a writer, or was there a specific point when you began?

The earliest that I can remember writing down the stories I came up with is eleven. But it wasn't until I was thirteen that I took writing seriously. I looked at wg at I was doing, and said to myself, "Okay, you've got something here, but it needs work." So I work. 

 
One last question... can you tell us anything about your work-in-progress or past works?

At the moment I am valiantly fighting against the clock to finish my 5 Enchanted Roses submission 'Of Thorns and Roses'. It's a retelling of Beauty and the Beast,  woven with the Greek myth of the minotaur.
 
And here's her post!
 
 
It's a tricky business, writing fan-fiction. A good deal of people will tend to look on the stories you produce like the gum stuck to the bottom of literature's shoes, which isn't fun. And, you'll find yourself wondering, what if they're right?
 
Is fan-fiction weird? Is it a waste of time? Is it wrong??
 
Short answer: Not always.
 
People think it's disrespectful? Hardly. Fanficers are showing their deep love, laying their fan-fiction down before the author in homage. Of course, if the authors says they don't want you touching their stuff, than it's common courtesy to respect that.
 
I don't actually write much fan-fiction when you get down to it. A few things for Tales of Goldstone Wood, and I recently began twiddling around with Queen's Thief and The Lunar Chronicles. But when I was about 13-14 I came up with all sorts of rubbish; mostly for Hunger Games, and then mainly AU stuff where I put Gale through all sorts of agony. Hehe. Anyway, it was rubbish, and I'm very ashamed of it, but the very fact that it was rubbish was endlessly useful. I could pinpoint what had made it so awful and make note of that.
 
That's how we writers learn and grow, by imitation. Fan-fiction can be a helpful tool, allowing your mind to explore, letting you test out your writing skills. And it's also just absolutely, ridiculously fun to do. . . . (Fess up: You love giggling over an OTP as much as the next person.)
 
You're practicing with ready-made characters and worlds, building your own skills. Unfortunately, that's what can backfire. You can become too dependent on it, using what's already been accepted and published, afraid to take a step on your own. Because who says people would like it if it's just you?
 
You have this talent for a reason. Words and ideas that are all yours, which is what makes them so special. As wonderful as fan-fiction is, it has its place. And you have so much more to give the world.
 
So, is fan-fiction worth it? I say—
 
Yes.
 
Thanks so much, Ghosty!
 
 

3 comments:

Sarah said...

*adds House of Stairs to TBR list*

I like your post. :) I used to write a ton of fanfiction, though like you, I've slacked off. (My own worlds, for the moment, hold much more appeal.) You make some very good points. BTW, I'd like to read your Queen's Thief and Lunar Chronicles fanfiction. :)

Anonymous said...

I agree, thanks so much!
Jemma

ghost ryter said...

@Sarah: Thank you! My fan-fiction is posted on Archive of Our Own, if you want to read it. (Under Beckah, because Ghost Ryter was taken, dang nab it!) : )

@Jemma: Thank you! : )