My Goodreads Quotes

Allison’s quotes


"Don't you think it's rather nice to think that we're in a book that God's writing? If I were writing a book, I might make mistakes. But God knows how to make the story end just right--in the way that's best for us."
Do you really believe that, Mother?" Peter asked quietly.
Yes," she said, "I do believe it--almost always--except when I'm so sad that I can't believe anything. But even when I don't believe it, I know it's true--and I try to believe it."— E. Nesbit

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Book Review: Ingrid, by Lynnette Kraft

First of all, happy Thanksgiving, everyone!  May your cooking go smoothly and your kitchen clean themself!

I saw this lovely volume floating around Goodreads for some time before I actually read it.  Even then, the elegant title and the enigmatic expression in the heroine's eyes might not have fully tempted me if I hadn't learned some background information on the book.  Ingrid, by Lynnette Kraft, features the artwork of her daughter, Abigail Kraft, and music by her son, Jared Kraft.

(Unfortunately, since it seems right up my alley, I can't review the music because my Kindle wouldn't download it.  So I'll just go ahead and say it was lovely.)

In the village of Scot, two children are born on the same day: rich, healthy Adair, son of the most hated man in town, and poor, mute Ingrid of the happy Harrison family.  Despite their different backgrounds, the two grow to young adulthood as best friends.  But railroads and industry are changing the world, and Scot must change with it.  When two strangers come to town, Ingrid must embark alone for a chance to understand herself, uncover the truth, and find her own voice.

I wish, wish, wish that I had read Ingrid years ago.  It is bursting with heart, lively characters, and adventure, but some treacherous grown-up part of me kept observing, "The fantastical element isn't well-integrated into the story.  Kraft doesn't establish the setting.  Could she have introduced the railroad earlier?"

But alas, all of these things are true.  Although I wished I could be friends with the majority of the characters in Ingrid, I couldn't suspend my disbelief on the two magical strangers who were introduced a little too late into a story that felt a little too normal for fantasy.  And despite the presence of a railroad and terms like French doors and newspapers, Kraft never specified where and when Ingrid takes place.

But as surely as those flaws are true, I must confess that I neglected calculus for a deplorable length of time in order to finish Ingrid.  I recommend it highly to those in need of a literary pick-me-up.  It is light, enchanting, and welcomingly reminiscent of the books of my childhood.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Ingrid sounds like an interesting read. I put it on my TBR list; we'll see if I actually read it or not.

Allison Ruvidich said...

I know; that's how my to-read shelf is, too!

Anonymous said...

Sorry this has nothing to do with your post but, is there a way to see all your Goodreads Quotes? Their funny and wise.
Jemma

Allison Ruvidich said...

I'm so glad you like them, Jemma! They're quotes from my account on Goodreads, which you can see here: https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/list/20777474 Let me know if it works! And sorry I took so long to respond. : )

Anonymous said...

Thanks Allison! It works! I recognise some of the quotes and when I recognise the quote or the author I smile. I recognise the Lord of the Rings quotes and I know Mr Vimes.
Jemma

Allison Ruvidich said...

Yeah, the quotes widget is totally my favorite part of my blog. : D