My Goodreads Quotes

Allison’s quotes


"Don't you think it's rather nice to think that we're in a book that God's writing? If I were writing a book, I might make mistakes. But God knows how to make the story end just right--in the way that's best for us."
Do you really believe that, Mother?" Peter asked quietly.
Yes," she said, "I do believe it--almost always--except when I'm so sad that I can't believe anything. But even when I don't believe it, I know it's true--and I try to believe it."— E. Nesbit

Monday, November 17, 2014

Best Blogging Buddy Award!

Ghosty nominated me for the Best Blogging Buddy Award!  Isn't she a sweetheart?

The Blogging Buddy Owl, christened Dave
Here are the rules:

You must post to show the award on your main blog.
You must tag the person who nominated you in your post.
You must tag all of your best buddies, and those whom you want to become buddies with, who, to your knowledge, have not been nominated for this award. You must ask your buddies at least fifteen questions on your post.  You must answer all of the questions your buddies ask you on your post.

And here are her questions for me!

1. What is you favorite aspect of blogging?

My favorite aspect is definitely the people!  I am blessed to be part of a wonderfully supportive blogging community that provides ample opportunity for the Blogging Buddy Owl.  : )

2. Your least favorite?
 
It is a ton of work, and when I say a ton, I mean you can't comprehend how much if you don't have a blog.  I have stayed up far past my bedtime, madly dashing out a promised post or frantically e-mailing someone about a deadline, crossing my fingers that it won't be too late...

3. What's one of the best books you've read this year?
 
I read Assassin's Apprentice, by Robin Hobb, last month.  I have heard absolutely glorious things about her, but I was still floored.  She wrote using much more summary than you see in the market these days, but she managed to convey alacrity in a far-spanning story and complex characters.  She also doesn't pull her punches, which I love in an author.

4. Describe yourself in five words.
 
I read while practicing music.

5. If you were supreme ruler of the world, what would be the first thing you'd do?
 
I would grant myself early access to my library's book sale.  I am not kidding.

6. What Disney character do you relate to most? (Yes, I did just ask that.)
 
I'm so glad you ask!  My favorite character, and the one I relate to most, is easily Mulan.  Hers is a movie I watched when I was very young, then forgot about.  Watching it afresh as a teenager inspired me.  How many of us have looked to the arrow at the top of the post?  How many have been clever and determined enough to reach it?  (Also, I love Lea Salonga.)

7. Do you have many siblings?

Technically, I have one older, professional-musician sister.  In my heart, I have numerous siblings.  This works out well because it means I don't have to share a bedroom.

8. Think of a book, any book at all. Now, what's one thing you would change about that book?
 
The first book I thought of was Peter S. Beagle's The Last Unicorn.  Without giving any spoilers, I would've changed the end of Schmendrick's storyline.  Although it's possible there is imagery I'm missing, and I reserve the right to change my mind, my first impression was that the opposite ending would've been more profound.

9. Who is one of your biggest role models? (Besides the obvious answer.)
 
I'm inspired a lot by my cousins.  They're all older than I am (the youngest is around twenty-one), so I've had an opportunity to watch them chase their dreams and catch them.  They feature a comedian, a music teacher, a bed-and-breakfast owner, a clothes-designer, a pastry chef, someone who writes commercials, a lawyer, and a professional dancer who tours Europe.
 
10. Autumn or spring?
 
Autumn, please!  I am both a competitive singer and terribly allergic to pollen.  I lose about half an octave off the top of my range each spring, and my tone suffers.  Also, it's hot, and I can't abide the heat.

11. What's a yet-unreleased book or movie you are really excited about?
 
Obviously, Stengl's Poison Crown and Draven's Light are high on my list, but I'm also eager to see Ricker's The Battle of Castle Nebula and the remaining books of Turner's the Queen's Thief series.  Also: Rooglewood Press's Five Enchanted Roses.

12. Realistic fiction, or speculative? Why?
 
Speculative fiction all the way!  For as long as I've been reading, I've loved the fantastical.  I haven't yet identified what draws me toward it.  When I read fairytales, it's as though a far-off voice calls me, and I long to follow it.

13. What is one of your favorite non-fiction books?
 
Priscilla Galloway wrote a wonderful book called Archers, Alchemists, and 98 Other Medieval Jobs You Might Have Loved or Loathed.  It teaches a wonderful dose of history and humanities while being vastly entertaining as well.  I'll read virtually any book on history. 

14. What's something happening this month that you are really excited about?
 
Thanksgiving, of course!  I've been working quite busily lately, and I'm read for a break.  Plus, I get to spend time with my family, which I always love.  And I get a break.  Did I mention that?  I plan on getting a serious amount of reading done.

15. Alright then; the last question. You have just had a mysterious ring of great power that can turn the wearer invisible entrusted into your care, and told that it must--must--be destroyed at all costs. What are you going to do?
 
I'd get myself fitted for Eowyn's white dress from The Lord of the Rings movies.  No, I'm kidding; that would be the second step.  First, I would probably post a Craigslist add: Grim-faced adventurer wanted.  Preferably long-lived; must have an absent love interest.  Apply to the local Holiday Inn.
 
I tag Grace at Fictionally, Laura at Crafty Booksheeps (I love that name!), Joy at Fullness of Joy, and Rachel at the Inkpen Authoress.  Here, if you choose to accept, are your questions:
 
1. What is the last book you read?
2. Do you have any pets?
3. If you were a super hero, what would your super hero outfit look like?
4. What is your dream review of your book (future or present), and who would ideally give it?
5. What quirky traditions does your family have?
6. What book are you reading now?
7. How many cousins do you have?
8. What is the most exciting e-mail/letter you ever received?
9. What languages do you speak?  (Music is a language.)
10. What songs play in your head?
11. What's the last book you bought?
12. If you could have any signed, first-edition book from any point of time, including the future, what book would it be?
13. What color is your bedroom?
14. Who is your literary or cinematic twin?
15. What do you daydream about?
 
I hope you enjoyed!  I'll give you a hint about my next post.  It's about a sport that involves running, more running, injuries both feigned and real, then more running.
 

8 comments:

ghost ryter said...

I loved reading your answers! I absolutely agree with you about Shmendrick (did I spell that right?). Oh, and for #5, four words: Friends of the Library. ; )

Allison Ruvidich said...

Haha, I'm so glad! And I really have no idea how you spell that name. I just took my best stab at it, with a little help from Wikipedia. ; ) I thought his ending was a bit... conventional, and sub par to the complete frankness and fierceness with which Beagle addressed other topics. My other number five, in which I steal from Yeats and Chesterton is, "Take me with you, fairies." ; )

Sarah said...

Your answers were really fun, especially the last one. :D And I totally understand wanting early access to your library booksale. They sometimes have some awesome books there!

Also, I predict your next post will be about soccer.

Allison Ruvidich said...

I'm glad you like it, Sarah! : ) My library book-sale is in December, and it's my Christmas present to myself. Also, you're totally right about the next post. : )

Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading this kind of post!
Jemma
ps I totally agree with you about what you would do as supreme ruler!

Allison Ruvidich said...

Haha, thanks, Jemma! I wasn't sure if you had a blog, but consider yourself tagged, too! : )

Grace M said...

Enjoyed reading your answers! I want to watch "Mulan" now, lol. Thanks for awarding me, Allison. It's so cute- will do within the next few days. :-D

Allison Ruvidich said...

Haha, thanks, Grace! You should totally watch "Mulan". It's easily my favorite Disney movie ever. : )