My Goodreads Quotes

Allison’s quotes


"Don't you think it's rather nice to think that we're in a book that God's writing? If I were writing a book, I might make mistakes. But God knows how to make the story end just right--in the way that's best for us."
Do you really believe that, Mother?" Peter asked quietly.
Yes," she said, "I do believe it--almost always--except when I'm so sad that I can't believe anything. But even when I don't believe it, I know it's true--and I try to believe it."— E. Nesbit

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

#SHELFIE

Remember, we're accepting nominations for the first annual Blogger Awards until November 1rst, so keep nominating!

I have been dying to do these.

For those of you who don't know what a shelfie is (I'm not patronizing you; someone had to explain it to me), it's like a selfie (self-picture of one's face, usually unflattering, always embarrassing), only of one's bookshelf instead!  That is a kind of selfie I can get behind!

So here is my first bookshelf.  It's my classics bookshelf, where I keep all of my classical literature.  Behold:

From Dumas to Asimov to Homer to Flaubert to Shakespeare to Fraser to Hawthorne to Milton to Kipling to Sophocles to Aristophanes (I LOVE Aristophanes!).  If you look carefully, you can see my favorite non-Shakespeare play, "A Man for All Seasons," by Robert Bolt, on the second shelf next to "The Crucible".  Also, Ghosty, that's "The Witch of Blackbird Pond" on the top shelf, far right.
To break up the monotony, a picture of my dog, Shadow:

Woof!
 
Moving on!  Here's a picture of the bookshelf in my closet.  The bottom shelf has my art books, my star chart, my rhyming dictionary, my fairytales, etc...  The top shelf has my signed books on the left.  I keep them in the closet to keep direct light off them.  Aren't they pretty?  The ones on the right are my to-read books.


Here is a smaller shelf, but no less noble for its diminutive stature.  It holds my first-ever (and only) publication.

An essay on young adult heroines in What Kids Can Do's collection Stirred but not Shaken.  It occupies the place of honor atop my mantle.
 
Now a picture of my cat, the Princess Peach (her real name is Peaches), looking imperious yet drowsy.
 
Dreaming cat dreams...
 
This is a rather sad shelf, hidden high in my closet.  It's for children's books that didn't survive the test of time, books too big for ordinary bookshelves (I'm looking at you, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel!), and books that didn't win the fight to stay on my main bookshelf.  And, curiously, on the far right, a collection of vintage Tolkien books that I haven't read yet.

I hide these books because they make me sad.  Except for Tolkien.  He's cool.
 
And, last but absolutely not least, my personal bookshelf, which faces my bed so I can look at it when I wake up each morning:

From Alexander to Paolini to Stengl to Rowling to Tolkien to Jones to George to Barry to Lewis to Lynch to McKinley to Turner to Sanderson to Rothfuss to Pratchett to Flanagan...  Also note my Excalibur letter-opener, courtesy of Ms. Jennette Mbewe.
I don't know if the etiquette of social media dictates that I can tag someone on this post, but in truth, I have never cared for those rules.  So I tag

8 comments:

ghost ryter said...

It's not like I obsess about "The Witch of Blackbird Pond" or anything. . .

This is awesome! I love your Shelfies, Allison, and am running for my camera right now to take mine. : )

Allison Ruvidich said...

Haha, yay! I can't wait to see yours!

Hannah said...

Awesome! I especially love your last bookshelf! So many good and thick fantasy books! *giggles in delight*

I might have to rearrange my books (since they can be found in many different places) for the picture!

Allison Ruvidich said...

Do it! Do it! : D I'm glad you guys like them! They are my pride and joy. : )

Anonymous said...

Nice bookshelves! I recognise lots of books, I like your reading taste! Your dog is really cute to!
Jemma

Allison Ruvidich said...

Haha, thanks, Jemma! : D

Sarah said...

Your shelfies are awesome. *nods* As are your shelves themselves, and the books. Also, I like the idea of shelfies. 'Tis cool.

Allison Ruvidich said...

Haha, thanks! Feel free to do some!