My Goodreads Quotes

Allison’s quotes


"Don't you think it's rather nice to think that we're in a book that God's writing? If I were writing a book, I might make mistakes. But God knows how to make the story end just right--in the way that's best for us."
Do you really believe that, Mother?" Peter asked quietly.
Yes," she said, "I do believe it--almost always--except when I'm so sad that I can't believe anything. But even when I don't believe it, I know it's true--and I try to believe it."— E. Nesbit

Friday, October 10, 2014

Deadlines

Hello, my lovely readers!  I'm so sorry I've been absent this week.  So sorry, in fact, that I decided to write a blog post about it.

Deadlines.  If you are a human being, you probably have them.  I, personally, like deadlines: they give me that extra impetus to put my chin down, work hard...  But here's the rub.  I also like sleep, and free time, and, you know, meals.  And lately, my deadlines have been conflicting with those.

October 15 looms before me like a tidal wave.  In addition to being right on top of midterms, it is the date I am taking the PSAT, so between those two, I have been plugging away for weeks over my textbooks.

But October 15 is also the announcement of a Super Secret Project I have been working on.  (Before you become wildly jealous, no, it has no relation to Anne Elisabeth Stengl's Secret Project.)  It took me a few weeks to realize that the dates coincided.  "Oh!" said I.  "It doesn't matter, because I can write that blog post in advance, and I'll still have plenty of time to study and eat and sleep and read."

Hehe.  Hehehehe.

Right.

But as September snuck into October (alas, where has my time gone?) I received the opportunity to submit a short story for review for an anthology.  And here's where it gets tricky.  Because, you see, the short story was due on October 15, and I hadn't written it yet.

Everything in my life right now is pointed to next Wednesday.  In addition to my usual schoolwork and tasks, I am studying and, above all, pounding out that short story like nobody's business.  So I haven't blogged recently.

That's not all, though.  There are more deadlines.

I am of course entering Rooglewood Press's Five Enchanted Roses anthology.  (I might do a post on that later!)  I've actually written one entry, with another in the works!  Those are fairly calm for now, though.  I still have time.  Ask me in November, and I might change my tune.

Those aren't the big deadlines, though.  Not even close.  Because I have received a very cool and awesome opportunity (which could be yours if you check out this website) that will be really fun and valuable, except for one detail:

I have to write a novel by December.

I'll be the first to admit that it's not as bad as it sounds.  It's intended for middle grade, and I can't see it being more than forty or fifty thousand words.  And although I want to, I don't have to write all of it; I just need an outline and an excerpt up to 50 pages.  But if I can... why not write it all?  It means someone from Scholastic will know my name and read my work.  I want to seize this opportunity.

Anyway.  I wrote this post to let you know that I'll have to slow down from my breakneck pace in the favorite books series, although I'll definitely keep posting.  And to ask that... if you look to your calendars and see that it's October 15... could you say a little prayer?

Note: A quick shout-out to my dad, whose birthday was on the 9th.  Happy birthday!

5 comments:

Hannah said...

Awesome!! And good luck on your short story! I'm sure it will be lovely! And your novel!

ghost ryter said...

Life does like to get in the way, doesn't it? : )

I'll keep you and your novel in my prayers! And tell your Dad some strange girl you met on the internet said "Happy Birthday". Hehe...

Allison Ruvidich said...

Oh, thanks, guys! *hugs* You're the greatest! And if I ever need beta readers... ; )

Sarah said...

Wow. Good luck on all your deadlines! Sounds like you'll need it. I definitely know how you feel, and I'll certainly be praying!

Allison Ruvidich said...

Thanks, Sarah! : )