My Goodreads Quotes

Allison’s quotes


"Don't you think it's rather nice to think that we're in a book that God's writing? If I were writing a book, I might make mistakes. But God knows how to make the story end just right--in the way that's best for us."
Do you really believe that, Mother?" Peter asked quietly.
Yes," she said, "I do believe it--almost always--except when I'm so sad that I can't believe anything. But even when I don't believe it, I know it's true--and I try to believe it."— E. Nesbit

Sunday, October 12, 2014

A Spot of Advice on the Topic of Apples?

Hello, dear readers!  I need to ask your advice on a matter.

As you may recall from the last post, I'm finishing a short story right now, and I'm pleased with the way it's shaping up!  It needs one last thing, however...

A title.

The short story is based on the myth of Atalanta and the golden apples.  I'm sure you've heard it.  A beautiful maiden vows never to wed unless a suitor can beat her in a footrace.  One cunning suitor distracts her with three golden apples, gifted to him by the goddess of love, Aphrodite, and he wins Atalanta's hand.

I've come up with three brilliant, original ideas, and they are:

Gold, Golden, and Golden Apples

I know.  They are astounding specimens.  So, dear readers, I must ask: do you have any ideas?  Do you like any of these?

11 comments:

ghost ryter said...

It really depends on what type of story you've made it into, but "Golden" seems good since it could have multiple meanings.

So...will we ever get to read this story? : )

Allison Ruvidich said...

Thanks, Ghosty! You will definitely get to read this story. : ) It depends on the publisher's decision whether or not you'll see it on my blog or in an anthology, but I'll make sure you get the chance! : ) Thank you!

Sarah said...

I like Golden best of the titles you came up with. Another possibility that I came up with is Apples of Gold (similar to your third idea, but a bit more poetic-sounding, IMO).

Allison Ruvidich said...

Thanks, Sarah! Apples of Gold... I like it! Although Golden certainly seems to be popular.

Emma Clifton said...

Ooh, I love this myth! How about 'Gilded Diversions'? Because the apples are meant to distract Atlanta.

Hannah said...

Personally, I love Emma's 'Gilded Diversions.'

I also thought of Golden Drop, but that doesn't sound nearly so well! :D

Allison Ruvidich said...

Ooh! That's kind of snazzy. Gilded Diversions... Thanks, guys! But I also like Golden and Golden Drop... So many choices!

Rachel Heffington said...

You could call it "Fool's Gold". But that has probably been used. ;)

Allison Ruvidich said...

Good one, Rachel! So many ideas... I don't know how I'll ever choose!

LadySaotome said...

Gilded Diversions is fun though it strongly has a regency vibe to me. ;) Golden Diversions could work, too. My church has a women's mentoring ministry called Apples of Gold. Older women mentoring younger ones for 6 months.

Allison Ruvidich said...

Very true. And that ministry sounds so cool!