My Goodreads Quotes

Allison’s quotes


"Don't you think it's rather nice to think that we're in a book that God's writing? If I were writing a book, I might make mistakes. But God knows how to make the story end just right--in the way that's best for us."
Do you really believe that, Mother?" Peter asked quietly.
Yes," she said, "I do believe it--almost always--except when I'm so sad that I can't believe anything. But even when I don't believe it, I know it's true--and I try to believe it."— E. Nesbit

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Welcome

When I decided that I wanted to start a blog for reading, writing, and music, I knew it had to have a perfect name.  I went through endless drafts, all too terrible to post here.  Nothing stuck.  I couldn't find the perfect title.

So I forgot all about it and moved on to other projects.  It wasn't until I was reading "The Way of Kings," by Brandon Sanderson, that the idea returned.  You see, in "The Way of Kings," everyone picks a Calling to pursue.  They choose their main interest and hone it to great skill.  Callings are not always straightforward.  One major character shows a brilliant affinity for sketching, but instead of choosing art as her Calling, she chooses natural history, since she studies art in order to understand the world around her.

Upon reading this, I thought, amused, "I could never do that."  I have too many interests!  I am a reader, a writer, a musician, a ballerina.  I couldn't pick one over the other and still be me.

But then I realized that I could.  Because, beneath these interests, there is one talent that ties them together.  My gift, my talent, my Calling is the art of storytelling.

And so this blog was born.  And I am very, very excited to share it with you!  I have several ideas for future posts.  In addition to blog tours and book reviews, I want to do a research series, an interview series, and a guest author series, so that anyone who is interested in blogging can give it a spin.

I'll start off with a countdown of my top 10 favorite books, so you can either agree enthusiastically or cluck your tongues mournfully at my deplorable taste.  And, to kick off the blog, I'm hosting a giveaway!  To earn an entry, all you have to do is comment on a top ten books posts.  You can earn one entry per post, and one lucky participant will win a book of their choice from my top ten list.  Pick an old favorite, or try something new!  I promise they're all worth reading.

And now, since I can't get the About Me gadget working, I'll say something About Me.  My name is Allison Melody Ruvidich, and I am a homeschooled high school junior from Cary, North Carolina.  I am not, as my Google profile picture might indicate, a koala.  When not hacking away at an endless mountain of schoolwork, I love to spend time with my family, go outdoors, read, write, play various instruments with varying degrees of skill, sing, and dance.

So welcome to the Art of Storytelling.  I am very glad to see you here.  : )

9 comments:

ghost ryter said...

You're not a koala bear? Darn.

So looking forward to reading the future posts on your blog!

Emma Clifton said...

Yay! You've got a blog! I've noticed you commenting on Tales of Goldstone Wood, and I was always like, "Aww, she doesn't have a blog." Looking forward to reading more!

Allison Ruvidich said...

@Ghost Wryter- I know, I know. I've been trying to think of ways to tell you guys for a while now. Eventually, I just came out and said it. I'm actually a narwhal. There.

; )

@Emma- I'm so glad you commented, if only so I can avoid fangirling about Broken Glass and potentially embarrassing you! ; )

Kelsey Matthys said...

Awesome!! :D Can't wait ^,^
~Kelsey

Allison Ruvidich said...

Haha, thanks, Kels!!

Hannah said...

Whohoo! You have a blog!!!

Allison Ruvidich said...

@Hannah- I know! It's so exciting! I have fifty bazillion posts I want to write, and I'm trying to pace myself... Expect a few desperate e-mails asking for blogging advice!

Athelas Hale said...

Oi, you have a blog! I've seen you around the Tales of Goldstone Wood blog ever so often, and more than once clicked to see if you had a blog--and now you do!
So far, your blog looks great, and I look forward to seeing more posts. :)

Allison Ruvidich said...

@Athelas-- I know; it's so exciting! I'm trying to restrain myself to, oh, seven posts a week? = P